Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Show me your snows?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by goose knuckle, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Mallardmashup

Mallardmashup Refuge Member

From my understanding yes, but we didn't kill any bands the days I hunted with him last year I would assume it would be hard to decide who actually killed the band if it came out of a group shot when the pit holds 14 shooters... I understand the concept but I'm pretty sure he keeps the bands and has made a map and pins the locations where these geese were banded to grasp a better understanding of where they come from... I personally don't care about the band issue I feel the fact that he has treated me well and has told me to stay home there are no geese and rescheduled hunts for other people as well makes a bigger difference then him keeping a band

2. goosetalk

goosetalk Senior Refuge Member

Why would he have to keep the bands to gather info? All he would have to do is right down the number? If no one knows who killed it, why not let clients draw straws since they fill his pocket. A lot of other reputable outfitters reschedule hunts when weather conditions deem necessary, or they travel to the birds if possible. I have to say though, the decoy spread would be awesome to hunt over.

3. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

If he in fact keeps all bands that his paid hunters kill...Id suggest he puts a disclaimer on his site about doing so. Sooner or later some dude who pays him big money for a hunt is going to kick that *** when Foxy swipes a band !!

4. dckhunter83

dckhunter83 Senior Refuge Member

I understand people have different opinions and that is fine. But I can only speak to what I have seen first hand. And I will guarantee you that he was trying to sell hunts last year for close to two weeks after all the birds were GONE. there were not 1000 snows left from peoria to beardstown and he was on his Facebook everyday telling of the geese he was shooting and how many were still coming. It was complete bs and was stated only to entice more pay hunters into coming.

5. Mallardmashup

People sure do take these little pieces of metal pretty serious if that's what people who participate in the sport will do for one. To each their own I suppose I knowingly gave up a band this year. I guess it's everyone's opinion how important they are I just can't see it being that big of a deal to me if that's what booking a hunt with someone came down to.

6. dckhunter83

dckhunter83 Senior Refuge Member

Also I can't speak to bands but have been told by several people that have payed to hunt that you probably better not plan on shooting any singles that come in. Don't matter if you have payed or not.

7. Mallardmashup

Well as I can only speak from when I hunted with them we let most of the singles land or move on for the groups working above but the few that were shot were shot according to what end of the pit they were on and I know in two instances I shot singles myself guess it's just based off if someone had a positive experience or not.

8. Specklr

Specklr Senior Refuge Member

I have no dog in this hunt but when you shot a band it is easy enough to find out where it was banded with out keeping the band, via a cell phone that day or have the email sent to both the owner and the clients email.
    If a you have 14 paying clients in a pit and everyone shoots the clients should draw or flip a coin for the band not the owner or his paid workers! Yea it's just a hunk of metal but really just give it to your clients. In the end easier and is better for your business rather than being racked over the coals like this and at some point what goes around comes around.

9. goosetalk

goosetalk Senior Refuge Member

Would you say the same about a collar? How about those who would like to have the bird mounted and it was banded? Did you give your band up to a fellow hunter, or the guide?