Side by side ATV/UTVs

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BigSkyDuk, Mar 31, 2019.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

So we’re looking at getting a SxS ATV/UTV. Thinking along the lines of a CanAm Commander, Kawasaki Teryx, etc. The use case would be riding Forest Service roads, getting off the road somewhat (nothing too extreme), chores around the house (including snow plowing), visiting friends who live nearby, and of course as a hunting rig.

Problem is, I don’t know much about these little rigs or the companies that make them. They all cost way more than my third car. Any internet research I do is basically a bunch of fanboys talking up their favorites. So, looking for unbiased and expert opinion, I turn to the Fuge. What say you guys... what should I be looking for in one of these rigs?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Boy are you in the wrong place! :yes

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Something with a very lengthy warranty, Polaris who has the name has been having big time clutch problems in their side by sides after a few years of use, you shouldn't have to rebuild a clutch in anything after only a short time of using it.
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on what brand is best, after looking at quite a few I wouldn't give them the kind of money that is being asked for 90% of them.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Vahunter and tcc like this.
  4. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

Honda

cold beer and tcc like this.
  5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive owed three others. Currently a Honda Rancher; has 9800 miles and An Artic Cat Two-up; 2600 miles and a kids 50 CC We ride and hunt alot
    My Father in Law owns 4 or 5 Polaris.
    We also ride 50" < trails . ATV and camping is our thing. My wife wanted a Two up. Wish we would have gotten a side by side

Most companies have them down. Many us the Kawasaki engine. We should have gone with a side by side.
    The Honda 410 is easier on gas. For our needs we dont need a big 800-900 engine.

Overall go with a name brand

6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Honda.

7. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have owned the Polaris ranger 900 and now a John Deere Gator 825i. The ranger is a lot more comfortable ride. The gator seems a little heavier built and more of a working machine. I use mine more as another tractor than anything. The Polaris seems to be the most comfortable of any of them to me. The Yamaha isn't bad either. Kinda a mix between the gator and ranger on the ride. Haven't ridden in a Honda. Kubota makes a nice work machine. Same as the Mahindra. Kawasaki mule is popular around here. Definitely just a work machine. Not very comfortable, but built like a tank.

One thing I find annoying is the gator is governed to 43 mph. Plenty fast for a utv but when running down the road it is reving pretty good usually even at 35-38 mph. I didn't have that problem with the ranger.

I don't have any experience with the can-am or the teryx.

8. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Well use is important, some are built for work, heavier frame axles etc, as stated above with the Gator lower top end speed but that results in more power and torque in lower work ranges.

We have a Cub Cadet at the farm 35 mph top end. But has very good lower range torque . We don't use it much on road. Ours is 10 years old little to no trouble have used it for spraying pulling a habitat disk planter etc .

Neighbor has a Ranger and even with bigger motor cannot pull the disk but his goes spend the road way faster.

So when choosing make sure to get one designed for your needs. If it is to be a work horse pulling pushing, towing get one designed to do that. If you want a toy to run around on with minimal work range but one of those.
    Brand wise Polaris and Arctic Cats are most common in my area because of dealers. Guys working them have been replacing Rangers with Arctic Cats or Gators,

9. Cliner

Cliner Elite Refuge Member

I own a John Deere Gator 550 XUV and it's a pile of ****. According to my research, this model had known problems leaving the plant. What's worse about this, is that they identified the issue, yet still have you purchase the "fix kit". They say they'll "give you a break on parts" yet still charge the labor to fix the issue. Very disappointing on John Deere's part in my opinion. This machine was "fixed" 2 years after it was purchased and has reverted back to the same issues. Essentially, the belt gets loose and slips, you loose power especially in water. A residual issue with this is transitioning from "High" to "Reverse", sometimes I have to rock the machine forward or backward to get it to shift. Has trouble starting as well, even though it is ran quite frequently.

I have had a much better experience with my buddy's Polaris Ranger 900. It runs and performs far better than the Gator. Outside of hear-say, I can only speak of these two machines. Seems the majority of my friends who have gone with a Polaris have been satisfied.

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Polaris is the most popular and the best ride. However, as usual with Polaris...quality is hit or miss. I have heard lots of good on the Honda Pioneers.