Silencers, your opinion ?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Dbag, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I personally don't have a need for silencers. I'm not a sniper or assassin so taking people out incognito isn't in my wheelhouse.

My guns go boom and I'm ok with it. I think there is a need for special urban type hunting in which subsonic guns could be used but that is a special operation type deal.

Legislation eliminating the use of them could be problematic in those scenarios but that should be written into the language. Most of the problems with gun control legislation is it is over reaching and has intention on taking out more than just one thing. For that reason I support very few gun control laws.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm all for silencers, like many of you my hearing sucks because back when we were kids no one I knew wore hearing protection. Now I'm half deaf and my ears constantly ring. It would be nice to be able to hear birds wings again, I can only hear them now when they are either ripping by 10' over my head at mach 4 or they are about to land on my head.

CADUCKWHACKER likes this.
  3. Dbag

Dbag Refuge Member

Calikev, the current legislation is to make them legal to all shooters in the usa not to limit them.

4. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I'm not aware of a single European country that limits their availability. That alone should be reason to allow them, should it not?

The fact they are only created to protect the hearing of shooter again should be sufficient reason alone.

Added they don't improve accuracy, hide the sound of the shot greatly, nor bestow super human powers to the shooter nor the gun, clearly these facts should aid their acceptance. The only real reasons against them are dishonest representations of them in movies for entertainment. How cliche.

callinfowl and nicapopolis like this.
  5. callinfowl

Pew, pew !!!:clap:clap:clap

6. CADUCKWHACKER

CADUCKWHACKER Senior Refuge Member

So very true I’m right handed and my left ear rings all the time and the wife always says I’m deaf
    But I’m 54 and when I started shooting at 6 hearing protection was just something that wasn’t thought of or done
    Heck it was nothing back in the day to shoot a brick of 22’s out of a pistol with naked ears dang they would ring for days.
    Now if we had suppressors my hearing would probably be much better

7. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Again for the people that just tripped getting off the short bus, suppressors are NOT Legal in California and the Feds can pass any law they want but state law is the one that matters. Its never going to happen.

8. Dbag

Dbag Refuge Member

Just a quick note, that the seal teams are trying to match up both suppressed ammo and suppressors and having the problem that many have expressed in that matching the 2 does suppress the gun's report but the knock down power of the bullet is insufficient at this time to be efficient for their job. So for us hunters ear protection and close range shooting discipline are probably the 2 biggest advantages .And yes the movies that shows seal team 6 shooting through steel doors in taking Bin Laden with very little report is probably BS.

9. callinfowl

Exactly, I'm a yr or two yonger than you, but pretty much the same deal except I got it in both ears.

10. callinfowl

Keep putting people down with your short bus crap, and I will delete every post you make...........WORD !

bxcall1 likes this.