Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Sillosocks Power Flappers

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by swampstomper, Aug 24, 2015.

1. swampstomper

swampstomper Refuge Member

I bought some of these and wasn't that impressed at first. The wings flailed around too much. Upon messing with it some I found that pinning the wings to the body,where the string is, made all the difference. I cut the string and tied the wings to the body. Looks really good and seemed to cut down on the motor noise too.

2. Gussleyer

Gussleyer Refuge Member Sponsor

So do you like them? Think they will work good on those windless days? I would be curious to know if they would hold up like normal flyers in strong winds?

3. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I have a pair coming too and am excited to use them on those windless days. I think if you have wind save your batteries the SS fliers look great with a little wind and don't think you would notice the difference using them on a windy day. IMO. Bob

4. swampstomper

swampstomper Refuge Member

I like them after the modification, so much so that I bought 2 more. They,re just a regular flapper with a motor so they,ll flap just fine in higher winds. We have many days here that start out dead calm and end with 15 -20 mph winds. Haven,t used them in the field yet but I,m thinking run them till the wind gets to 12-15.

5. King Buck Hunts

King Buck Hunts New Member

Can you take a pic of where you retied the wings to body?

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Please post a pic . I've got three ( untried in field yet) thanks in advance

CNWD likes this.
  7. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

normal flyers hold up in strong winds? lol I know how many wing spars i have had break in the last month, and its not impressive lol

Power flappers work best if you keep them low to the ground, groups of 2-3 throughout the spread on intermittent. and if your not going to use them due to too much wind, save yourself the money and take them down until you can use them.

8. LuxuryHunter

LuxuryHunter Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Sno-bots and Feather Flyers all the way.
    Tried a few SS power flappers this year and wasn't impressed. Erratic wing beat and birds flaring was enough for me.

wyfarrell likes this.
  9. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I just used five of them for the first time last weekend and I like them. You have to baby them, but on no wind days they add movement and looked good. We shot birds over them. If you hunt over a dog the dog will eventually run into the wire and pull it out of the decoy. Definitely a good option for no wind days if you take care of them, and they are way cheaper then clones.

10. King Buck Hunts

King Buck Hunts New Member