Silo spread ???

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Rangerbob, May 21, 2018.

1. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I currently own 6dz Dive Bombs and am planning on expanding my spread this next season to appx 20dz or so. I am thinking of splitting them up between DB's & Big Al's. My thoughts are by that by mixing the different mfgs I will offer more poses. I am also thinking of adding some of the b&w's from Big Al. Also maybe a couple of dz specklebellies since we get a few mixed in. Most of the geese we see are the little canadas.
    My question is if I add the b&W's how best should they be set out in relation to the rest of the spread? I am guessing on the upwind edge of the spread.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

RB

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Last season we ran 4dz big al b&w’s 30-40 yds from our fb spread. Had to move the b&w’s almost to the fb’s because the birds kept going to those. Did have a conversation with Al and he suggested putting b&w’s around the perimeter of the upwind side. He also said sunny or real low light days were best for b&w’s.

Big AL1 likes this.
  3. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

That's correct. Sunny, or low light (low visibility) hard snowfall, etc. B/W's are also known as "shadow" silo's...emulate birds casting shadows off each other/ or the sun hitting one side, and the other remains (shadow).
    A very simple/ effective color combo. Not every day will be prime for B/W use in my opinion. I prefer to use the regular coloring on partly cloudy/ or grey days thru the season.

4. Big AL1

Big AL1 Refuge Member Sponsor

Big Al Silhouettes 062.jpg

The Black Hole. Note, even the full bodies are painted B/W to match the silo's. This was a private land spread left out for the entire season. The spread was set in a big donut with hole...so that the blinds could be placed around the spread according to the wind. The stakes froze in as well. Photo was taken early AM. Yes, this screams "pulling power" for sure.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Billy Bob likes this.