Silouette's for Canada Geese ???

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Feb 12, 2018.

1. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

I've never used silouette's for Canada's before and im thinking about getting some for my spread. Just wondering what people like for hate about them. What brand do you like?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Plus - light and you can carry a large rig in a pickup truck. They don't collect snow like FBs.

Cons- can be difficult in frozen ground, sunny days can be challenging, IMO- you need 200+ of them.

I bought 120 dive bombs to add to my fullboy rig, but homemades can be just as if not more effective. Real Geese are very popular as well.

BADLARRY250 likes this.
  3. BADLARRY250

BADLARRY250 Senior Refuge Member

i only have 3 dozen full body avians right now and another 2 dozen shells, so i thought silouettes might help me a bit. a friend of mine bought canada silo socks and they did not work very well for us, and we tried those multiple times through out the season

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

My comment about needing 200+ of them is if that is the only kind of decoy you run. There a lot of variables.

In my opinion the canada socks either move too much or not at all.

Your next $350 can buy a dozen lesser Avians ($350), 8 Big Foot B2s ($300), 24 Real Geese (actually $400) or 60 Dive Bombs w/ a bag ($350ish).

I like the size that silos offer and I think that they pop much better from a distance but I also like having full bodies including FFDs on the down wind side.

5. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

I agree with everything Montauker said. I would just add that I do really well with just 8dz silos. If you spread them out well I think it gives the appearance of a much larger flock. I use Real Geese IIs with flocked heads and tails. On some club properties we use old-school masonite silos in similar numbers and kill a lot of birds. Eastern Shore of MD, NJ are primary areas hunted.

6. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I bought 4 dz big al black and whites to put upwind of my fullbody spread for visibility. After a majority of the birds would go over the blind high and focused on the upwind b&w’s, we’ve decided to grab about 10dz more for next season and see what happens. We can fit the 4dz in a normal sized plastic tote with room for a couple dz more.

7. marbleye

marbleye Senior Refuge Member

Next season try making the upwind side of your spread be where your blind is, chances are the geese went to the upwind side to get to the upwind side and not the specific decoys. When you have wind to control the birds try putting 80-90% of your spread out in front of you (down wind) leaving a large open space 15 -20 yards directly in front of you "kill hole" and your thickest densest mass of decoys around you and between your blind(s) and the hole. Spread loose groups 20-30- even 40 plus yards downwind of you to achieve your visibility and the last 10% or so behind you with your furthest "upwind decoys no more than 5-10 yards behind you. Use your call to pump up the few birds that want to land short downwind, I think you will be surprised by the results.

goosenazi likes this.
  8. kberggren

kberggren Senior Refuge Member

Guys have hit it pretty much the nail on the head.

I have DSDs for small spread but when need #s I use sleeper shells and Silhouettes. I run Real Geese Mag lites and have the heads flocked. I like the real geese because they are bigger and really show up from a distance but from my experience you usually need at least 6-8dz to be effective or more. I got all mine used and they last, some are over 10 years old and still look great. I use to make my own silhouettes and killed a lot of geese over them, was going to make more after sold my first ones but found used real geese at a good price. I have 200 on Y-boards and 200 on stakes. The Y-boards are awesome for frozen ground but still take up 3 times more room than silhouettes on a stake but still far less then the same amount of FBs. I use a few windsocks but only about 5-10% of the spread is windsocks. The pros look great but I hunt around a lot of mud and seems that cloth can either fade or stain and is hard to clean which is why I stuck the mag lites. The mag lites with flocked heads and tails look great!

9. shirtguy

shirtguy Elite Refuge Member

Dive Bomb are the bomb on water edges. Don't need anything else.

NealinMO likes this.
  10. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I have 10 dozen Dive Bombs. When we want to bulk up the spread I set them up wind and DSD in the hole. There have times when the Geese pull to the DB's and fly right over the DSD's in the hole. Frozen ground, especially snow covered can be tough to set out silos. I will still use the DB's and push the wire stake/stakes into a corn stalk and you are set. I don't use any Silo decoy when the wind is 25 mph and above. Just throwin' it out there.