Silouette's for Canada Geese ???

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by BADLARRY250, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I get that they look different to the birds,I am just saying after trying them at least a dozen times,with no success,I would rather use something else. I also know you can get skunked withfullbodies,but
    Prime spot,that sure didn't include goose poor Nevada.You kill geese here,you are extremely lucky or extremely hard working or both.

2. dmastin

dmastin Senior Refuge Member

. 5 Dozen will work,more is better sometimes. I really like the Dive Bomb silos. We use RG now and they work fine.

3. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

What were the birds that did see the spread doing that got them to not commit? If they are coming over to take a look and then sliding off or flaring it is not the decoys fault in most instances.

4. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Some hunts I can get by with as little as 3 dozen, next location might dictate double or triple that,just depends .
    Ive always sworn by real geese,but the newer kids on the block big Al and divebomb put out an awesome product as well,that 5 dozen divebomb for 3 bills ia pretty hard to beat,the big Als have ring stands if you hunt ice that is a sweet option as well .

5. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

This is interesting. You must subscribe to the theory that west coast geese are smarter then our midwestern birds. Please enlighten us with your knowledge.

pud123 likes this.
  6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

More along the lines of how much competition there in a given area, what the topography of a given area is, and what the weather commonly is, ect.

I have never hunted west coast geese. But yes, mid-western (central flyway) Canada geese are the easiest I have hunted.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  7. mpkowal

Mostly just flying by I realize a lot of traffic hunts take lots of decoys but even using 13 dozen in an area with just over 1000 geese a HUGE spread shouldn' be that neccasary.Out here a black hole goose spread is probably 8 or 9 dozen shells.Guys do ok using strictly shells here later in the season when the birds get stale seeing the same 3 to 5 dozen FBs.
    I will say we have killed good amounts of Lessors in Northern Nevada with about 6 doz.gbs and 5 doz.silos,but that area hunts only 2 days a week and has about 6500 geese.

8. mpkowal

9. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

So if the birds never came and gave the spread any type of a look what makes you think it was the decoys fault? If they get inside 200 yards or so and then bug out we can have a conversation about what was maybe happening. Birds not giving you a look at a half mile plus wasn't going to happen either way.

10. DEC

DEC Elite Refuge Member

I don't have any pictures showing birds back peddling with silhouettes in the same frame, but I can assure you that this photo was taken when I was running nothing but a spread of 15 dozen silhouettes that were the Big Al's (I have no affiliation). This was pretty typical of that afternoon hunt. This bird was landing in the silos at about 10 yards from me. I slammed a limit real fast over the silos and then shot photos of landing birds. The field was just a muddy corn stubble field. Most hunts that I have are like this. When I bought the silos back in 2012 (I think) I was kind of a doubter as I had never hunted over silos. The Big Al's were reasonably priced so I rolled the dice. Needless to say, I have been impressed. I only run them when I need to walk in hunt muddy fields, but they never seem to let me down.

[​IMG]

This was on the same hunt as well. The silos in this shot were just out of frame to the left of the bird ready to set down.
    [​IMG]

Duckman Racing and pud123 like this.