Simple Box Trap

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Hitman, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

Anyone make their own box traps? Thought I'd post up pics of my box trap & the technique I use to catch anything from coons to fox to the neighbors cats & their ferret! This trap is simple to make, & cheap. Wire ties, some fence, plywood,a couple pieces of 2x4, & a rat trap for the trigger mechanism. In the pics you can see I've added aluminum slide rails around the door. The rat trap has wire over the trap pedal hanging on the inside of the trap. Attached to this is the bait bag, I "borrow" my wife's nylons & cut the feet out of them & load it up with tuna (in oil,the one in water doesn't seem to have the same drawing power). This is also part of the fun in making the trap! When your wife gets up in the morning & gets dressed for work, she puts her nylons on & there's no feet in them, it's funny to hear her bitch at 6:00 A.M. that your gonna make her late for work because she has no nylons with feet in them! :dv Also attached to the trap is 2 pieces of tangle free decoy line (seems to last the longest). At the end of the line are 2 carter pins which go into holes drilled in the door. The carter pins barely rest on the frame of the door.

Set the trap, place the carter pins in the door, vermin walk in & tug on the bait bag firing the rat trap which pulls the pins out of the door. Door slams shut & TA DAA !!!! Vermin is caught awaiting punishment for lurking around bird feeders & back yard.As for pressure, it doesn't take much, if the culprit touches the bait, the trap springs & the door slams shut sealing his fate! It's pretty fast when you see it in operation.

I've named this trap the "LAST TRAIN TO CLARKSVILLE"

Trap
    [​IMG]

Trap
    [​IMG]

Trigger
    [​IMG]

Results
    [​IMG]

2. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

looks like it works!

my door is a little different, I have hinges on mine with a 1x2 attached that when opened(for entry) I hang a bait tray on inside the trap. I use a headless nail in the 1x2 to hold the wire attached to the bait tray. I have cut alluminum with notches in it on the bottom of the door to catch when the door slams shut.

I used 2x2 for the frame and screwed hardware cloth for the cage.

Having fun in here already!!!!!!!!!!

3. Hitman

Hitman Elite Refuge Member

Anytime there's talk of vermin eradication it fun to me!!! :dv :dv :dv

4. Half-Breed

Half-Breed Elite Refuge Member

you betcha!!!!!!!!! :dv

5. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

Heck yea this is my second passion in hunting next to waterfowl.