Sitka

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by joecitrano, Nov 29, 2017.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Guys swear by KUIU, but my impression is it is for above the treeline big game hunting.

2. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

NV the man.

Thanks for the link!

Did not the OP ask about price keeping him away? I figured the prices here may offer a solution. If my post is out of line here..... please remove.

I also own some Sitka Gear, both are very nice. They use a ton of the same companies as vendors.

With regard to you inquiry, the Yukon is a phenomenal rain jacket with very good water tight cuff closure system. I would agree a lot of their stuff is geared towards big game but there are a large contingent of waterfowlers getting wind of the stuff and the attractive prices.

I would agree, they need a more specific waterfowl pattern. Optifade is a tough one to beat.

3. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Sorry not a third the price. Meant to say about one third LESS... or 2/3rds the price of sitka.

Would agree on the big game aspect of their lines.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

No need. I am posting an opinion, not a fact. If we were in person, there would be a lot of give-and-take, no doubt. Hard to get that across via a keyboard.

As I said, my impression (don't own any) is that KUIU is good stuff. I have heard nothing negative, and that includes the price.

This was a Sitka thread. Mainly, we are waterfowlers, and Sitka has gear for waterfowlers. It's like if this were a donuts thread, and somebody else said they like a brand of pie. Well, sure, they are both sweets, but they don't serve the same purpose, 'most of the time'.

I am not all 'up' on the Sitka line. I don't know all the names of the different jackets, just the Duck Oven. I bought it because of rave reviews on this website over the last couple of years. Nothing I have experienced has changed my mind. In my brief viewing of the KUIU website, I saw nothing in the jacket section that would come close to replacing my D/O, much less any of the other models Sitka sells.

To be clear. Aside from the color patterns, KUIU is great stuff. No knocking the product here. Right now, for waterfowlers, Sitka is better. If you can afford it. That is a BIG caveat, I admit. I won't be owning 3 different Sitka jackets for different conditions. If I expect a heavy rain, the old Cabela's 4-1 shell, that is probably 25 years old, is coming with me. It sheds water, and has a good hood. 95% of my hunts, that isn't a problem. So the D/O serves.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I just purchased a Sitka Delta jacket...

I have never owned a rain jacket that really worked well... Being wet is just something I have learned to expect when it rains...

In recent years, I have used Frogg Togg jackets, and while they work reasonably well, they seem to be more fragile than tissue paper. Last one I took out was several years old (purchased) but never worn, and the zipper ripped off the first time putting it on.

I have never not been fairly damp after hunting in a hard rain, and seeing my father and other companions swearing by the dryness of the Sitka (and the Kuiu) I opted into purchasing one for a price I could not refuse...

I do not like hunting in the rain, and have yet to meet a rain coat I did not like... I will say that the hood on the Sitka is nice, but the zipper and collar come up uncomfortably high on the neckline of mine. As it has not rained yet during a hunt this year, I have not had opportunity to take it out (and complain about it).

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Sitka is owned by GORE? IMO their Gore-tex is much better then the others own brand of waterproof fabrics/material. I have an old Cabela's sweater w/GORE Windshear and that stuff works, by the way that sweater cost me $100 in 1995. Correct me if I'm wrong but Sitka's are made in China/Asia? THAT is what makes me question their cost, same as Chinese made decoys. But then I know nothing about Mfg'ing/Marketing.

7. Guzman

Guzman Elite Refuge Member

I absolutely love my Hudson jacket. Might be a little warm if you hunt down south but other brands don't even come close in quality.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  8. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

I am pretty frugal with hunting clothes purchases but I have purchased a Duck Oven & a Hudson Jacket. I will say that I am very impressed with the Hudson's ability to keep you dry. One thing I do not care for is the lack of insulation in the arms of the Hudson & the torso of the Duck Oven. This is saving the co. money not making the
    garments more useful.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Says frugal with hunting clothes purchases; spends $1000 on two hunting jackets

:cool:

tcc and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I bought my duck oven after the sale and gift certificates. I think I paid $100 for it. I love the damn thing. It’s stupid warm and light and not bulky. I’ve had it for 3 or 4 years.

In my opinion the best part about Sitka is the camo pattern. That stuff blends in with just about anything. I wish that pattern was available to more companies. Then again, that pattern is a huge selling point for them.