Size of impoundment

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Nov 10, 2013.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

What would you say the minimum size of an impoundment should be if you want to hunt it a couple times per week? Looking at a house that has some land with it and a nice pond. However I wouldn't be able to put in a large marsh...just a couple acres. Would like to use the pond as the water source. Is it a waste of time to do a marsh that small?

2. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Depends on what flyway you're in, and how close to the "x" you are. Let's forget geese for a second and pretend you're only interested in ducks.

Unless you have new birds consistently showing up, seeing the spot from the air, and using the spot, it is unlikely that a couple of acres of anything (other than bait piles :fp ) will allow you to successfully hunt a couple times per week except during the peak of migration. You will educate a lot of birds pretty quickly. You will see a lot of ducks flying over at 80 yards off the deck! Generally "5 acres" is the rule of thumb - big enough to give you options in different wind conditions, maybe different types of cover, different depths of water, etc.

If you're "off the X" and want to hunt a few times per week (successfully), I honestly think you are looking at an impoundment more in the realm of 10-40 acres. Or several small impoundments that total 10+ acres and are close together.

Also depends on what's around the impoundment (basically corn vs. anything other than corn).

And again, geese are a totally different story.

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Yeah you need some size to be able hunt it a few times a week, and even then there is no guarantees. People think you can hunt an impoundment like you can open water and you cant. Hunting it too often can blow it out and hurt the hunting for a couple weeks or until fresh birds move in. If i had a piece of land I wanted to hunt a few times a week I would put in 3 or 4 impoundments that were close enough for the birds to jump around but far enough that hunting in one would not spook the others. And may center that pond in the middle as a resting spot or another place to shoot. Good luck.

4. thatguy2

I am just mainly looking to make a spot I can take the kids. I was thinking maybe a weekend hunt and let it rest all week. Really try to control pressure. There is a COE lake and NWR within a few miles either way. We are looking for a house with 20-40 acres so making several marshes may not work too well unless terrain is ideal. I'd settle for managing for geese if it is easier to do with a smaller marsh. My initial idea had been to allow the pond to remain undisturbed and just hunt the marsh. Is it even worth building on a smaller plot of land? With land prices we can't afford a biger parcel unless we happen to get lucky.

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Are you limited to only having 2 acres of buildable marsh physically or financially? I ask because you also mention looking at 20-40 acres which should afford you an opportunity to make a bigger marsh/impoundment.

6. thatguy2

Wife doesn't want all the land under water.

7. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

whats the adjoining land have on it in the way of house or activities that either attract or spook ducks? We put a five acre shallow flooded food plot together forty years ago that is not even on a flyway. Hunt it twice a week after daylight for three hours per hunt. Dont shoot it at daylight,but just move in and set up flushing (but not shooting)whatever birds are on the pond at that time. they come back . Use ice eaters and other devices to keep it open through frigid weather. Generally kill a hundred big ducks a year, but a couple of years have been close to 200, some far less and near 60. Weather being chief control factor. But this is in a quiet protected area where no one can see or bother birds at rest at any time. if you have big grain agriculture around you l suspect you would do much better.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

What about utilizing a small section (5-8 ac) away (out of sight) from the house and impound it? Plant and flood it seasonally, that way it won't be a perpetual marsh. Wife is happy, you are happier!

9. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I agree that somewheres in the neighborhood of five acres with an ice eater could be a great hunting spot for the kids, throughout the season.

10. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

That sounds like a good plan to me. Give you a project to fiddle around with during the summer too.