Size of impoundment

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Nov 10, 2013.

1. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

LOL - we kill a lot of deer during the archery/muzzleloader/rifle seasons (as many as we legally can). I also plant A LOT of food plots just for the deer. None of it keeps them out of the Milo or Jap Millet, though.

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I had wondered if you had tried any lure crops. Just out of curiosity what have you tried?

3. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

We are under contract to purchase 24.15 acres. One side is flood plain. One side is no hunting USFWS land. Other 2 sides are no hunting trust land. Major duck holding reservoir (9k acres) is roughly a mile to the south. Don't know if the lay of the land is conducive to a pond and wetland, however if nothing else it has excellent large deer potential as well as some turkey hunting.

4. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Corn will still work. We are regularly 2 feet plus from the ears in our fields and they ducks get to it fine. We flood in mid september and still have enough corn in there till mid february. After that they have pretty much eaten it out. It keeps them from being able to eat too much at once and eating you out in a week while stil giving them enough to eat through stalks blowing over/falling over, other animals pulling them down etc.

5. Clayton

Around here if you one flooded corn in Sept. there would be nothing left by hunting season. I have seen guys flood corn three weeks before season only to pull it back off a week later for fear of being eaten out by the time the season started.

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

West TN > Virginia :dv

7. Clayton

Yes, big difference. I know as I am from the area of VA. Proabably more ducks on KY Lake than all of VA.

8. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

We have never had issues bc the ears are above the water line where the ducks cant get to them all. If they were at the waterline we would be eaten out as well. Where we are in NC and there are a good number of ducks in the area. Where are you from clayton??

9. jasonb

jasonb Senior Refuge Member

Were the terms 'NC' and 'good number of ducks' just used in the same sentence?!

10. Clayton

Portsmouth