Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Sk Conditions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by hayward1, Aug 8, 2017.

1. hayward1

hayward1 Refuge Member

Crop conditions are not good. Sounds like in many areas there won't be much if anything to harvest. This is the driest summer Regina has had in 130 years.

2. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

3. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

If thats not bad enuff, I am hearing reports of what few crops were planted being destroyed by hail & other bad weather.

4. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Basically anything S of Edmonton to Saskatoon and over the big lakes of MB is bone dry right now.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

That's not good! North Dakota is in a severe drought as well. If it continues to dry out as summer winds down and the migration starts full swing it'll be interesting to see what affect it has on the birds. Obviously they have to find water.

6. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

If dry, often around Sept 1 the ducks and local geese will transmigrate to better feed/water conditions. I have seen it happen too many times.

I remember some yrs back when CAN was dry, I ran into a group of 4 guys in 2 trucks from I think it was TN or AR, and they had not seen 1 flock of mallards yet with 2.5 days of scouting all over the place (10,000 sq miles)in the drought stricken areas. Others at the motel had not shot 1 Mallard after 3.5 days of hunting on potholes. It can be tough hunting for sure. What happened was that all the local Canada's and older and 1st hatched ducks had pulled out (transmigrated), per the farmers. Which left only 2nd and 3rd attempt hatch ducks with their Momma's were still around and newly arriving Snows. And the ducks were ALL brown, no coloration at all. I remember that I had a flock of 30 Pintails come in point blank (15yds) 3 times - I could not see 1 drake as they were all brown.

Anyway, my point is you best be mobile and be prepared to do some serious scouting if hunting S. prairie CAN this fall. Just remember that there will be water yet, but it'll be down 1-4' from a year ago. Some small sloughs and many of the potholes may be dry, but the bigger sloughs and lakes should have water yet. Focus on field hunting the ducks as it'll be extremely tough with the mud flats on the sloughs. And being prairie Canada has no refuges like the US has, and then add the drought, anything with water will be roosts. So please don't hunt the roosts on water. Please don't be "those guys" that messed it up for everyone else that are field hunting because you busted the roost.:reader

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    870 likes this.
  7. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

This is great news if your a Minnesota waterfowler. The last 5 years the birds have hung up in southern Canada until everything freezes then fly right over, because everything freezes here at the same time. If the drought is that bad there won't be allot of crops for them to feed on. I've also had much better hunting over here when the Dakota's are dry. One year when the Dakotas were in an extreme drought my buddy and I shot 50 gadwalls. Normally I shoot 2-4 a year!

Bring on the drought boys! We have plenty of water and good crops over this way. :D

8. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

did that happen to be the 13-14 season? seems to be when they pile up in Minnesota, they keep east.

9. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Spoken like a true Minnesotan...

Zane and CANME like this.
  10. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. The me me me me mentality

Zane likes this.