Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Sk Conditions

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by hayward1, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

You mean spoken like a true duck hunter.

h2ofwlr and ArmChair Biologist like this.
  2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Damn right! It can be the driest year in the last 100 years and the duck hunting will still be much better in your state then mine. Us Minnesotans have to take anything we can get!

Says the person with the word me in their username. You're from Illinois, us Minnesotans have no reason to come to your state. We prefer states that have more ducks then us...like North and South Dakota. There's not enough roosts for me to bust in Illinois.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I believe it was either the 2004 or 2005 season.

4. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

We have found that we do better hunting in dry years than in wet years.

KID CREOLE likes this.
  5. freezeland

freezeland New Member

I'll be in Humboldt in early October through the 15th. After that I am planning Weyburn area 15-22 Oct, or go to ND the same dates. Depends on conditions on ground when I get there. Hunting solo with mixed spread of snows 20 dz (white, blue, and juvie), a few dark geese (2dz silo specks and 2 dz silo canadas) and 6 full body field mallard shells. I also have 5 dogs along for the fun, lol.

6. PorkChop

PorkChop Senior Refuge Member

I have been seeing this the last two weeks. Flocks Vd up coming out of Canada, going into Canada, flying east and flying west. I have never seen it at this magnitude. Also an unusual amount of goose singles and pairs flying around lost. I am in NCND and we are the driest I have ever seen. It will be an interesting fall. As stated before bring plenty of gas money and be prepared to drive drive drive!

7. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

I know the states south of ND and SD do very good in dry years that's because the birds don't stay north with NO WATER. Birds are really grouped up on what water we have here in SD but it won't take all that long to shoot them off those areas then there's no place for them to go but south. Could be very fast season...

8. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Anybody hearing anything from the Tundra?

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Here's the thing boys when you start the year with a pi$$ pile of snow your not going to be able to dry her down enough to make much of a difference in bird movements. Then factor in a steady string of just in time rain storms for the crops over most of the Duck areas and they won't be shifting much more then normal especially out of the state to the east since the east side is plenty wet to hold the birds west of the border. Water conditions are a bit dry in central ND but no where near anything bad. Probably looking at about a 15% loss of the little potholes and the medium to large are still holding on just fine. Going to be some big mudflats out there but last time I checked ducks love those things.
    Might be seeing some of PC's mallards since we have far more of them then we would normally see in my area but a north south shift wouldn't be too surprising if he's super dry.

10. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Have you locals hammered the resident geese hard? It may account the singles and pairs as the rest of the family group were killed.

Drier than 88-92?
    As for 3 years not even the coulees (creeks) ran in the springtime in NCND. Where as at the height of the dust bowl in the 30s they ran each spring according to an old timer I spoke with that still lived on the farm and he was in at least 70YO at the time, that is how bad it was 25 yrs ago.