Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

SK Trespass Law?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by backwater1, Oct 6, 2009.

1. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Is there a trespass law in SK when the land is not posted? I know you have to ask in unharvested fields or if its posted. We always attempt to ask but sometimes we slip into a pothole with out permission if we can't locate the land owner.

2. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted in Saskatchewan several times and it is my understanding that you need the landowner's permission to hunt. I am not familiar with a trespass law in Saskatchewan and would not dream of going on someone elses land without permission. If you think that you are in the right why are you having to slip into a pothole? What if a group with permission shows up at the pothole that you have slipped into? Do you just leave or are you going to be an arse?:rolleyes:

3. backwater1

Yea, yea, you are great always ask, ect. I don't want to get into it with you on "if you should". We ask 99% of the time but sometimes you just can't track the guy down. We don't do it on field hunts.

I was under the impression that SK has the same law as ND.

All I need to know is YES, or NO.

4. Monashee

Monashee New Member

Check the Saskatchewan Fish and Game website.I hunt Saskatchewan a lot,and if I can't find the owner of land I want to hunt(it's fairly easy with a Regional Municipality map),I hunt somewhere else.I hope you don't "slip in" to a pothole on my wife's families property.You won't like the result. Monashee

5. backwater1

Neither of you must hunt SK much. :scratch In years past it was legal to hunt unposted land, if the crops were harvested. The land owner could ask you to leave but it was legal and you could not be considered trespassing.

I have been over the 09' SK Hunters and Trappers guide 4 times and I don't see in black and white where it states the law has been changed?

So far the guy from BC, and Colorado have been very helpful:doh.

6. backwater1

Wrong, we purchased 7 new maps this year and two instances the landowners have sold and resold the property. :scratch

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Section 41 of wildlife act is specific.

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=...&hl=en&sig=AFQjCNEgvSibnMvl7_32gy3KxkB0111TtA

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=...&hl=en&sig=AFQjCNEgvSibnMvl7_32gy3KxkB0111TtA

Pages 14 and 15 give all you need to know.

8. idduckhntr

idduckhntr Senior Refuge Member

IMO if you own private land and don't want someone to hunt it, post it. If you don't have it posted and you find someone hunting on it(where the law allows), you have no right to pick a fight with them, its your fault you didnt post it. If its not posted, then I take it that they don't care if people hunt it. I don't know what the laws are there but in Idaho, if its not posted and not cultivated, you are legally allowed to hunt it. Now if the law is different where you are Monashee and it is illegal to hunt unposted land, then you or you wifes family have every right to be mad. I just can't stand when a land owner gets ****ed at someone for hunting their land(that is not obviously private) that they didn't post.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

MB requires landowner permission. Any other use is trespass.

1jesseK likes this.
  10. stute slap

stute slap Senior Refuge Member

I lost my dang reading glasses......is it legal to hunt where land is not posted?