googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Skeet Draw

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by ncfethrdustr, Dec 20, 2017.

1. ncfethrdustr

ncfethrdustr Refuge Member

Finally found the needle after 10 years of applying
    Just have some questions about access to blinds 2 and 10, as my 10 year old son will be making the trip with me

PM anything that may be useful as I would like to cover any possible "surprises" before hand. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks guys

2. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Might want to call the refuge office and check on water levels. Might need to improvise a way to get your son to the blind. Good on you though for taking your kid with you!

3. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

Hunting will probably suck but the scenery will be awesome. Great experience. Busting a duck will be a bonus

4. ncfethrdustr

Figured as much, but not going is never an option:amen

CCB....yeah, some of the best hunts I've had have been from his being there, not the animals taken

coachcornbread likes this.
  5. duk-cmdr

duk-cmdr Senior Refuge Member

it's a tough draw, and hence, it's been a while since I've been there. but if I remember #10 is no walk in the park. As CCB mentioned, I would consult w/the refuge office and let them know you have a 10u joining you. they may help coordinate a blind switch that morning, something a little easier for you if there's another willing party. That place can be dangerous at times. I witnessed the ambulance visit the dike 1 morning right at LST.

6. Clark

Clark Elite Refuge Member

#2 is in one of the impoundments. Only hunted it once, had about an inch of ice on it. Not a bad walk - if you are not breaking ice. One pintail, and all the swan you wanted.
    Have not hunted #10.
    Hunters with blind assignments are offered the chance to switch blinds if there are no-shows. Walk-on hunters get the leftovers.

7. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

Take a canoe, you can use it to ferry your son and decoys and gear. You wade, gear and son ride.

8. ncfethrdustr

Thanks for the replies guys, it is greatly appreciated, and any more specifics are welcome!
    We have access to canoe and kayaks, so that shouldn't be a problem
    I wasn't even really worried about #10 because it was showing 250 yards, but the 600 yard #2 was concerning me, but I might have been worried about wrong one:scratch
    He's a good size kid that's been hunting with me since he was 4 so he can probably handle as much as his overweight dad can;) I'll consult with refuge office, and get their input.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

2 is a long dike walk. You won’t want to drag a canoe or anything that far, you’ll eventually hop off the dike into the impoundment and wade to blind. 10 (and 16)!are the only 2 blinds I’ve not hunted but you should be able to take advantage of a drag boat of sorts through the woods/cypress knees if the water is up. Call manager and ask, they will know for sure.

10. Buck Eye

Buck Eye Elite Refuge Member

Blinds are in great shape. Nothing like years past with plenty of cover. If you are hunting this week you should have some decent shooting with this colder weather approaching. Lots of waterfowl on the refuge. I hope that you have better luck than we did during the youth hunt the day after Thanksgiving.