Skinny water boat advice needed. Jet or Prop tunnels?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by 1simplemann, Oct 7, 2017.

1. 1simplemann

1simplemann New Member

bh007, Your 1 downside is one of the main reasons I wanted to try some sort of prop tunnel. LOUD! Since I'm trying to sneak into some areas for bowhunting, stealth is a concern. the 2 main areas that I will hunting are not rocky, just moderately shallow 1-2'. I'm considering a using a jet to get me most of the way and then trolling motor the last 200-300 yds. The really shallow stuff I fish is rocky so it looks like a jet is my only option. I was looking an option that could do it all. shallow running, good gas mileage, stealthy(quiet),efficient IE- not a 60/90 motor(full HP rating), and prop driven. I was hoping a prop tunnel with a couple jack plates on the back could do everything I'm looking for in a river boat.

2. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

There are a lot of boats here with prop motors and tunnels. I don't care what anyone says. I have owned both and there is no possible way a boat with a prop will run as shallow as a jet. The shallowest running prop boats are boats with the motor in the front(most are used for gillnet fishing for mullets) and even they won't run as shallow as a jet.

If your dealing with shallow water and rocks, a jet is the only option IMO. Glad we don't have rocks here.

The thing with a jet is making sure you have enough power to put you on top with any load you might carry. When you run aground, you'll be able get out in a pair of shoes and not get your feet wet. Been there, done that in a 21' Carolina Skiff.

3. 1simplemann

1simplemann New Member

Buffle head, where in NC? My Dad live's in Leland.

4. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

Dare County..............Outer Banks. I'm on the other end of the state.