Skunk dog...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Mar 7, 2018.

1. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I'm not even sure if there is such a thing, I know guys hunt coons with rat terrier type dogs..

But I need a skunk dog.. my dad has a family of skunks that takes up home under his shed every year.. he has hired a pest/trapper dude in the past but they charge the hell out of him..rightly so I guess, but I was wondering if someone wanted to train their dog on some stinky ones...the deal is they would have to go under the shed and drag them suckers out, hopefully dead...There might be 6 or 8 of them...If you don't stink out the whole hood, might be some cash in the deal too.. on top of the training..

If you got a tough dog I need to talk to you...how tuff is your boy..

JuvieCoot likes this.
  2. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Never mind.. just found a guy on another site that has a half rat terrier half toy poodle, and says it is the meanest skunk killing dog around...says if I got coons too the dog just growls and coons fall over dead...ya right.. going to be interesting... going to do it for free just to work the dog ...

3. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

Following....

J.Bennett likes this.
  4. 707tothe907

707tothe907 Senior Refuge Member

In for the YouTube video!

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

Find someone with an adult boa constrictor and throw that thing under there after it hasn’t eaten in a month. In college my fraternity had a boa as a mascot. Snake escaped in May and spent the entire summer under the house in the crawl space. Always had issues with skunks under the house. After that summer we never had skunks under the house again.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Oop's wrong video.

8. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

I take it that there is no way to keep the skunks out in the first place?

If the dog thing doesn’t work out, they are pretty easy to trap with the havahart style traps. If I know it’s a skunk, I wrap the trap in cardboard (make a slit for the handle). Sardines or cat food work great for bait, but you’ll probably catch the neighbor’s cat 5 times for every skunk you get. Hard boiled eggs work pretty good too, and you are a lot less like to get any cats. If you get one, fill a garbage can with enough water to completely cover the trap and drop the whole thing in.

9. J-Duck

J-Duck Elite Refuge Member

I got some sub sonic 22lr if you need some and put some wire around stop being lazy

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My grandparents told me of a depression era(?) skunk hunter whose dog cornered them and circled, keeping their attention, until the guy could grab the skunk's tail and pop it in a poke (sack). Said he wore gloves, and the skunk couldn't shoot with its hind feet off the ground and wouldn't in the bag.

Have no idea how much a skunk might be worth, just that it wasn't enough.

I used to catch them occasionally in a Havahart trap set outside a country pigeon loft and found most couldn't get their tails cocked to spray in the size trap I had - but the smallest I trapped could...