Sleeper shells and placement

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Diesel0889, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 New Member

Hey guys. I recently bought a dozen Dakota sleeper shells. The flocking looked like overspray on the white butts on about 6 of 12 and a little paint missing but other than that they seem like they will do the job just fine for years... time will tell i guess. I also have a dozen signiture series sitting on my steps as we speak to add to my bigfoot, hardcores, and white rock headed socks. So my spread in all is not very big about 55 i think even with the new deeks so with that number in mind i was thinking a dozen was a good idea as nh is getting colder now and they seem to be a little more lazy in the cold. I normaly run sleepers around my blind but was looking for ideas as far as placement in the spread. In the past its been into the wind around blinds or off one arm a few close groups ( x shape spread) just curious as to what others are doing with there sleepers... And also anyone own or use the Sig. Series from Dakota yet have not held mine yet and the pics look good. Wondering if they look good and are durable. Looking to maybe go al dakota from here on out possibly with a few avian lesser 12 packs in the mix...avians lessers hold up ok? Sorry for all the questions..Thanks in advance...

2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

You will be happy with the Dakotas. As far as sleeper placement I usually just mix them in especially if there is snow on the ground. I will run as many as 10 dozen if there is snow.

3. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 New Member

Thanks for the reply. 10 dozen.... boy I miss those days and hope in a few years to have a huge spread to bring out on occation. Most often I find in nh anyway not much more than 3 dozen is needed until late season, at least in most parts of the state. And even then not necessary to drop birds of course sometimes big numbers help but I feel they have hurt me in the past as well, others may feel differently. Thanks again...

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I put the tallest decoys I have around the blind. In my case, tall RG silos. I would certainly not put my sleepers there, unless it was an all sleeper spread.

Otherwise, it makes no difference.

brentbullets likes this.
  5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

I usually put my sleepers behind the blind

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I do the same. However at times of light or no wind singles seem to want to land on the edge of sleepers

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

When I first moved to my current place the "good" goose hunters all seemed to have 50 dozen shells. a group of 4-8 hunters. For a few years those 50 dozen shell spreads were selling for $500

8. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Sleepers I would mix in on the upwind side of the spread.

I ordered 16 dozen of the sig series DD's last year before season start. I love mine, they get tossed in and out of my enclosed trailer. No problems, the only thing I noticed this year is the flocking on the heads has some rubs from the bases rubbing on the heads while in the trailer, but if the geese are that close to see they better be taking a dirt nap.

9. GooseHunter46

GooseHunter46 Senior Refuge Member

put them more on the downwind side of the spread while mixing in a few resters and an occasional feeder with them. Have more feeders and actives on the upwind side. you are showing birds in the air things are calm on the ground, but most importantly where the food is.

10. reeltime

reeltime Elite Refuge Member

In short, according to this thread, put them anywhere and you'll be fine

NHDuck and brentbullets like this.