Sleeper Shell's late afternoon

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Dec 29, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

OK...we have been running about 2 dozen sleeper shells in our spread. No problem in the morning hunts but wondering about the late afternoon hunt's. Geese have been coming out from 4:00 PM till Dark, we still have the sleeper shells out and Geese have been sliding off on us. I think that when Geese come out late they want to feed and not sleep. Still want to use shells but with feeder and active heads. Maybe I'm being anal here but I got ta figure this sliding issue out! Too damn cold to watch Geese slide and not pull the trigger. Your thoughts Please. Murph.

2. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

Two days ago I put out a small spread around 1 PM consisting of 24 old style Carry-Lite stackable shells, 6 sleeper shells (can't remember the brand), and 6 Bigfoot full bodies (2 sentries,3 feeders, 1 walker). Geese started flying around 1:30 PM and had several groups commit to the decoys. They quit flying at 2:30 PM, started again at 3:30. The ones that flew at 3:30 would not commit to the spread. Go figure.

3. don835

Were they flaring or just sliding off?

4. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

We run almost all sleepers late in the year. Maybe 6-12 full bodies. Only time they slide is due to improper calling or picking us out.

pud123 likes this.
  5. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

Murph,Just from past experience, I personally don't use sleepers in a late afternoon spread. In the cold temps they will fly out to aggressively feed and then head back to their roost before it freezes up. Try using every feeder you have and only 3-4 sentries on the edges. No Resters. No sleepers.

6. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Out of the 5000 ish geese I've seen feeding the last couple afternoons on my way to work, 99.7% have been sitting down with these brutal temps. I highly doubt that the birds are picking out a few sleeper shells as the problem.

goosenazi, GK1 and brentbullets like this.
  7. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Went out yesterday with a friend of mine got out birds before this sad front were getting now here for a week! I have a dozen sleepers and a dozen shells and the rest a full bodies! Since out temps here in the lower teens I told him were not going to stands on the full bodies! just set them on the ground and he looked at as if was nuts or something!!!!!

When it gets this cold 95% of the birds are laying down and feeding or sleeping! You might find 1 or 2 standing but that's it. I did put 4 full bodies on stands and mixed in the spread, that was it and we had a great hunt! We also put are decoys a little closer together than we normally do since they do that more when it gets this cold out.

brentbullets likes this.
  8. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have 10 dozen sleepers that I will use this time of year especially with snow on the ground, mostly because I am lazy and I hunt solo most of the time and they are easy to pick up and put out. This time of year they are almost all afternoon hunts. I have never noticed a problem with geese sliding because of the shells and a lot of them have blood on them to prove it. They also create quite the "black spot". usually only use around a dozen fullbodies.

9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Like BirdJ said, the birds are much tighter right now. Are you hunting the same spot or even the same main group of birds may be your bigger problem.

10. don835

Hunting 2 different pits in 2 different spots...basically the same 4K birds. I'm still going to pull the sleeper heads and use feeder and rester's. We only have 60 DSD's out with the 24 sleeper shells. I think the sleepers are hurting us.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.