Sleeper Shell's late afternoon

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Dec 29, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Agree with the geese being decoy shy! Had a couple groups day before yesterday that never batted and eye and came in right away. We did have a couple of groups like you said that were locked up until they hit that 60 yard range and then they just slowly just started flying again just before the hit the decoys and started raising up again. Kinda like saying "Been There, Done That Before"!

brentbullets likes this.
  2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

More likely you are hunting with too many guys and the late season geese are picking out your blinds.

3. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

I am sure they are hunting out a of a couple different pits. That’s what I don’t like about pits, same location and usually the same decoys hunting most of the time, the same birds, especially late season.

BirdJ likes this.
  4. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

We were hunting the pit! I have been thinking...I might be off base here with the sleeper shells. I expect to decoy every flock that works knowing full well that it ain't gonna happen, I feel it makes me a better hunter. As I think back on the day in question, several issues come to mind. First off, the field this pit is in is huge. Geese were using it heavy but not in the area of the pit. We were not on the "X". When the Geese came out they came all at once. Big flocks and everything in between. Geese were in the air everywhere when several flocks locked up for us. Might be that they realized they weren't where they were supposed to be and wanted to follow the other flocks? I am probably off base thinking the sleeper's were the issue. Also late season Geese are spooky critters. I am sure that calling and concealment were not issues but I have a guy that's flag happy and that could be something I need to address. Thank You guy's for your thoughts...Murph.

5. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

All good info,I will add my 2 cents,we don't have a lot of geese here but when we watch them ,late on the season there will be about 20%,in a sleeper pose EVEN though there is no snow and not really cold,maybe 32 to 40 degrees.I have about 18 sleepers,6 shells and 12 Fbs,we use them mixed and the geese seem to want to land close to them.
    We also hunt a pasture that has a very small pond, the geese that loaf there I would say about 50%sleepers We use the same 18 sleepers but cut back on the remaining walkers,feeders and sentries .

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Geese probably saw the fumes coming off your heaters and cook stoves.

7. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Just finished afternoon hunt. Birds layed right next to my sleepers and did it dirty. If anyone wants to see video I will post tonight. I know most you guys could care less. Or can pm the link if anyone interested.

8. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Send it to me please

9. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

I'd bet your right , when I have trouble fooling birds with a full spread of DSDs its not the decoys ..... But if I toss in junk decoys (anything other than DSD):grvnas fillers I have trouble with smart birds .... Your case sounds like they are strictly feeding during that afternoon hunt .... I'd pull all those sleeper shells for your afternoon shoot and run mostly feeders , a few loafer poses and a couple lookers ..... I hunt honkers because they're smart and are a challenge to fool , if they've been resting (sleeping )mid afternoon , the smarter ones know when they come out late afternoon that they just slept/loafed and they should all be feeding not sleeping ..... Only takes one smart bird to mess up your hunt ....

10. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I sold my DSDs,killed lots of geese with the junk I prefer to run now(mainly because of no hassle set up)Maybe I am just lucky:eek::reader

brentbullets likes this.