Sleeper Shell's late afternoon

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Dec 29, 2017.

1. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

No your not lucky, I have done/did the same. I have seen no decrease in finishing birds with out them or the 3 dozen other customs I once owned.

2. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Here we go...

3. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

You are giving the geese way too much credit. Are you saying if sleepers are in the field in afternoon the smart geese will know it's not realistic because they aren't feeding. Lol c'mon. These are birds. They decoy to flat pieces of cardboard for cryin out loud. Over thinking it for sure. Video is uploading..3 geese land right near my sleeper and lay down right next to it..whats your reasoning on that?? Late afternoon too.

brentbullets likes this.
  4. Lonegoose35

Afternoon hunt. Ran 42 fullbodies and 18 sleeper shells. Watch at the 5:05 mark on left of screen. 3 geese land off to side and walk right to the only sleeper on that side and sit right next to it. Sleepers work late season. Good chunk of sleepers to the right and birds land right next to them. We are in the last week of the season and these are the hearty big smart geese that are hanging tight. We are 99% froze out.

goosenazi and BirdJ like this.
  5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It's interesting to see how people setup their decoys.

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Nice! Nice calling also! NO over kill! Ever put decoys in between, in front and in back of your blinds? Mine sit on ring bases but found some taller ring bases used for water sets and use those around them since they sit higher than the regular bases. Kinda think it helps breakup the outline of the blinds.

7. Lonegoose35

We typically do and started off that way on that hunt but one flock seemed they wanted to be right where the blinds were so we quickly dragged them back 20' or so from where they were. Seemed to work

BirdJ likes this.
  8. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

10-4 on the flag problem!!!!! Too many birds at one time is a mess that's for sure. I have hunted out of a lot of pits that aren't on the "X" but if your in a good traffic area? you still can have a good chance to get your birds though I would think.

9. Lonegoose35

My pit is under a very small local flyway.. was 12 for 12 this year with limits. Being under them is most of the battle. Small pond I made prob helped though.

BirdJ and HONKSRWORKN like this.
  10. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Your probably right , in saying I'm giving them to much credit on occasion ... Every place you hunt is different and the birds do things a little different depending on hunting pressure ... Smart heavily hunted educated geese pay far more attention to everything , birds we hunt out here...they're smart enough to not go to the same field after they've been shot at a few times ....late season birds .. they're smart enough to shy away from cookie cutter spreads that many guys run in the middle of a field ....
    GREAT JOB MAN ... COOL VIDEO ...I see Your hunting in snow , that is a great super easy hide ..... Having a great hide is way more important than the decoys .... wish we had snow once in a while to help us hide ... Although I have a new found respect for any of you guys that hunt day in day out in that real cold weather ... you guys are some tough bad A $$ waterfowlers .... Hunted in Susanville a few weeks ago and it was 17 ... frikin cold as I've ever been ... My buddies said the geese heard us pounding in decoy stakes so they went to a different field .... Too much credit , maybe but this field was the X day before we hunted it ., and were in it the next day when we hunted a different spot ..... .. Bad luck , or smart birds ...don't know but sure sucked freezing my butt off not firing a shot ....
    Every situation is different .... Thinking outside the box is a good thing to try when nothing else works ....sure can't hurt ...

BirdJ likes this.