Sleeper Shell's late afternoon

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

Just bad luck..i have had fields with 1000 birds in it then we hunt the next day and not 1 bird showed up..nothing to do with intelligence of the birds..at the same time we have hunted the same fields for days straight and kill birds. Birds do smarten up but they don't comprehend stuff like we do. Late season birds that are smart can be dumb too. It's hunger that drives them to make mistakes. Kind of like a big mature buck that is in rut..That's when they make mistakes..we had awesome hunt this afternoon. Birds are hungry and doing it perfect. Hunting the same 500 birds now too. I don't know all the answers for sure but we do give the geese too much credit. Guilty of it myself sometimes. 0 degrees today with 20 mph winds. Brisk

2. gary s.

gary s. Elite Refuge Member

don 835. IF YOU HAVE 60 DSD's. WHY DO YOU NEED OR USE SHELLS AT ALL?

brentbullets likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

LOL, good point. Aren't DSDs 3rd on the list?.......1) the wheel 2) sliced bread 3) DSD decoys. :l

4. Lonegoose35

Not trying to start a pissing match but just because you own DSD decoyss
    doesn't mean you can't run other decoy poses and brands..i bought 8dz dsd and used skinnies good part of the season and ghg hot buy shells. Now running my buddy GHG FFD spread.

5. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

No problem for Dakota full body and sleeper shell mix on the same birds a couple of miles from your buddies pit this afternoon. 992AED3A-263D-4BA4-A59B-F2EA04E088D2.jpeg

6. Lonegoose35

turns out mallards and a pinnie like afternoon sleepers too GOPR0556_Moment.jpg

BirdJ likes this.
  7. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yes, I know but our season is closed. Had over 2000 in decoys this afternoon.

8. Lonegoose35

Our season is closed too. Why else would they be right in our face with my hit list pintail 5' from me?? Never fails..never. Unreal!

9. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Just like spring snow hunting. We get covered up in ducks and specs every spring but same spot in the fall.....nothing !!!!

10. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Can't say I disagree , looking back on it .... Years ago when I first started hunting geese in fields there were days when our shooting was unbelievably bad .... Birds would come in , my buddy and I would both whiff 3 shots ea .... I'd get on the call and sure as heck they'd come right back .....and get killed .... I'm sure they wanted the corn in the field we were in because it was the only feed around for miles .....
    You my man are a bad ***, braving that kinda weather isn't for the faint of heart .... I'm sure I'd be right there with ya cold or not ... I used to wait all yr long so I could hunt honkers ... hunted 3 days a week and had 3 different spots .. Now I just wish I had a place to hunt ..... My DSDs haven't seen a field in almost 3 yrs ....:( its truely depressing not being able to do one of the few things that let me forget about work and life's problems .... I still get to go once in a great while but that doesn't cut it .... I need to hunt a couple days a week not a couple times a season ....
    Hope you all have a very safe great last part of the season .....:tu
    Good huntn to ya ;)

BirdJ likes this.