Sleeper Shell's late afternoon

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Dec 29, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

Friday and Saturday, a couple miles from you Brent in my buddies nice warm pit. IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3395.JPG

BirdJ, TN_Hunter, GK1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Closed already?:eek: We have 41 days left of ours. Since your closed down there now, could you send some of your left overs back up here please?;)

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

41 more days of being able to hunt ducks would mean a couple of things...1) I need more bullets and 2) I could sell nearly all my canada decoys cause I'd much rather shoot ducks.

brentbullets likes this.
  4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Our duck season closes in 9 days but geese go until Feb. 18th. A few years ago when Feb. was pretty nice out I was hunting the last day and saw our geese that stayed here all season long start working their way back north and the same day saw migrators coming up from the south!!! I was a all day migration heading back north.

5. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I don’t know a whole lot about goose hunting, but I did drive by a couple dozen geese in a church yard near city limits yesterday in the late afternoon and every single one was sleeping until 6-8 landed, and they all got up into the sentry pose. I think your birds are probably just stale.

6. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

You are correct...they Were stale. New Geese moved in now and they are a lot easier.

nick b likes this.
  7. BENSSS

BENSSS New Member

Decoys rattling in bag--late season some get a shine and afternoon sun picks it up even when cloudy. had a crop duster friend and we got a birds eye view of decoys--you would be amazed. one or no sentry. long necks or any neck up in the air means danger. cold weather-eat and sleep is only thing on there mind-survive. if you don't have alot of competition-go to fewer decoys now and then.

8. Lonegoose35

Lonegoose35 Refuge Member

The looker head theory i dont believe. Just because geese have their heads up whether it's 1 or 40 doesnt always mean there is danger. Geese go to fields to rest and just be with the flock. Doesn't mean because they are in a field they having to be feeding..when a flock hits the ground when landing they are all usually in upright position. So flocks that are inbound may think birds just landed. Also i have seen geese in field all raise their head when a flock is coming in. I will be doing a video next year to disprove that looker =danger theory. Going to run 18-24 looker and that's it..each flock could interpret differently. But i bet we kill birds.

goosenazi, DEADEYE, pud123 and 2 others like this.
  9. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Lonegoose35, I hunted January 4th,5th and 6th, light snow cover, temps ranged from 20 to 30 degrees. On these hunts landed 7 different flocks ranging from 8 to 30 birds and probably 65% of the birds laid down almost immediately after hitting the ground. Had incoming flocks to geese already in decoys, 4 feet of the deck before calling the shot as I wanted to observe their behavior. This happened 3 different times. one flock of 8 that we watched for 5 minutes, my buddy was getting anxious so we sat up and took them on the wing. He said I should have called the shot earlier and why did I wait. I said why, we just shot 5 of the 8 dead, maybe he was upset because he only doubled. All of these hunts were over 10 dozen sleeper shells and no more that 3.5 dozen fullbodies and 2 of the hunts we were running traffic. Geese are just fairly stupid I would assume because they have been pressured.

BirdJ and Lonegoose35 like this.
  10. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

How did we ever kill geese before they started making sleeper shells? Hmmmmmm, I wonder.