Slow Growth

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Jawhawk, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Jawhawk

Jawhawk New Member

This year is my first year getting my Moist Soil Unit up and running. I also planted a mixture of Milo and Jap Millet to supplement the food supply in the pool. Overall I am pleased with the initial results but I am concerned that Milo and Jap Millet have not matured yet. Planted both on Aug 1st and after 60 days I would have thought they would be farther along.

Should I be concerned?

I am located in Central Missouri

Attached Files:

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Not a farmer but I would think that the milo should have been planted earlier maybe July 1. I have hunted a field that was flooded milo and the water was put on it before the milo had hardened out. It turned sour and smelled like a sewer.
    Good luck.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Milo definitely takes longer than Jap to mature but the biggest thing I noticed was the weed competition it's having to deal with. Milo should be kept clean (and fertilized) for optimal growth. I've tried broadcasting it in slightly disturbed soil also and never had good growth results, sporadic at best.

As for the millet, it should have already been done, or at the very least showing heads.

Albino Woodie likes this.
  4. GLS

GLS New Member

We're off the Mississippi about 50 miles north of St. Louis. We planted mix of sorghum & Jap on July 15. I looked at it yesterday....Jap has matured and seeds are starting to dry. Sorghum heads first started to appear about 2 to 3 weeks ago but looked pretty full yesterday. You should have around 2 more weeks before average first frost so I'd say you're going to be fine. Probably a little dependent on soil moisture when planted and if/when you received rain while growing. Best of luck

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Jawhawk

Jawhawk New Member

Gentlemen- I appreciate the feedback. Expecting a couple of inches of rain this week with warm temps so hopefully everything will get to the finish line.

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

You planted the milo way too late. It should've been in around Memorial Day. Unless you bought one of the quick maturing varieties I think you may be SOL. I planted mine June 1 in East central Kansas. Most take 90-120 days to mature. Even if it does make a head you grain production will be severely reduced.

Albino Woodie and JFG like this.
  7. Jawhawk

Jawhawk New Member

Assuming my Milo won't mature in time, would you recommend flooding the pool to help the Jap Millet mature faster? I didn't know if I kept water on the millet would help speed it up?

8. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

We planted Milo,corn, and beans in our north pool area at our club, about 15 ac. in three pools in mid June. Two weeks later Grand River flooded. Now early Oct. and only a little Milo came up, every thing else toast. But moist soil plants came back big time. Smart weed and millet look great. Some time things do work out. Tim (sgt duck)

9. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I am no jap millet expert. This is the first year I have planted it. I planted July 12th. Mine as already headed out, and died back.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

If you have sufficient moisture on your Jap, I don't see where flooding is going to expedite growth but that's just my op. But you'll kill what milo you have for sure even though as many have stated you were late on it to begin with.