Small round black seed the size of a salt grain

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by H20DAD, Jun 1, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

I got these seeds that looked like small salt grains out of some crops and have been trying to grow them for 5 months with little success. Forgot to take a picture.

It is starting to look like a grass with leaves offset at 90 degrees. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

The size of the seeds blew me away. About the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

Any ideas? The google isn't helping.

2. H20DAD

3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Picture looks like the stem is triangular? If so, you have something in the sedge family.

4. H20DAD

Thank you. I was wondering. The part that got me was the seeds were all perfectly round and black which I haven't found in any sedge pictures. Also there was no chaff in the crops at all. These birds were literally stuffed from crop to mouth and the seeds were fine grain of salt. Smaller than sand.

5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Looks like Nutsedge...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bender

Bender Elite Refuge Member

If that's what it is, there's some good stands of it in the areas I hunt. Two seasons ago there was a Mecca-hole with a large number of Whistling Ducks that seemed to be congregating due to the abundance of Nutsedge. I've also found them with crops full of Spanish Needles or Bur Marigold/Marsh Beggarticks...

I have some Nutsedge drying now for the purpose of spreading around in a few spots...

7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Nutsedge is some gooooooood stuff.

8. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

When it comes to yellow-nut sedge, birds are mostly feeding on the underground tubers. Seed yield tends to be relatively low. More than likely he has one of the other sdeges. Red-root flatsedge can produce a couple of thousand pounds of seed per acre in a solid stand.