Small Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gglenn13, Dec 22, 2017.

1. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Yes the #2 steel load is used for Decoy hunts where shots are almost always under 45 yards. The #1 load is for pass shooting, Both run 1400fps at 5' over the chronograph. Both have plenty of pellets for waterfowl at the far side of the steel shots capability. Both loads respond well to less choke. Birds in your face use the Imp Cyl. Then you can actually eat them.

2. baltz526

I was looking in my pictures for a #3 steel load that patterns exceptionally well. But it must have been on the last dead hard drive. Fed top gun hull, fed209a, LBC43, 31.5gr Bluedot, 1 1/8oz #3 steel. It runs 1300fps when cold and makes beautiful even patterns. Depending on the batch of #3 it has 172-178 pellets. I have killed 50 yard chukar with it. And under 40 yard ducks. It really has no use beyond 35-40 yards on a mallard. Even if you center the pattern on the bird it will not be dead unless you get head hits. Much beyond 40 yards. When I could not find Steel powder a few years ago, I shot the load a bit. Hated watching the big late season Mallards fly by at 45 plus.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Late season like that with far flying ducks I use the 10 gauge, the 100 BB load works well for knocking them off at those ranges.

4. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Don't really know if there is a magic bullet. It's a popular subject. Have read post stating 7/8oz, 1800fps load of #4 steel that will kill anything out to 50 yards. I remember guy's swearing by #8 or #6 or #4 lead in all sorts of loads. So the magic bullet rolls on.

I don't reload. I shoot factory ammunitions and vary choking and pellet size by location (range) , expected quarry size, and temps. Sometimes it's rather straight forward and sometimes it's hodgepodge

Hunting spring creeks, shooting wood ducks, green wings, black ducks and mallards, # 4 or #3 steel and chokes are Cyl and IC. Field hunting Canadian geese, #BB steel and chokes are IC and MOD. Hunting open water , shooting wood ducks, green wings, black ducks and mallards, # 4 or #3 or #2 steel; If it's cold and windy and shots are longish then #BB. If mixed bag with Canada geese then it #2 and #BB steel; cold then it's #BB. Hunting Eider's then #BB and MOD choking (maybe FULL if shooting Winchester Experts).

Northhunter likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Pretty hard to argue with any of that.

6. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

I shot 7s once. Had a box given to me by someone who thought they had bought lead. They were absolute murder on bluebills in the blocks. I do believe the old consep(sp?) studies listed 6's as the most effective load inside 40yds.
    I've said this a lot, but my pet load is backed up by 5's and they are very effective. Through an IM it's a 50yd load. I tried straight 5's out of the 12 bore once, in one of 43x's 7/8oz loads. It seemed to pattern decent, but the results in the field never lived up to what I thought it would do, so I dropped the experiment. But now I shoot 7/8oz 5's out of the 20 and it seems to perform, so go figure. Maybe I expected too much out of the lightning steel load. Maybe they hold together better at 1500fps and it's the difference?

7. baltz526

Yes, But at that time I was on a 12ga 1100 kick. Arthritis in my neck was flaring up that fall. The 10ga gold was fine for a few morning snow geese but afternoon hunting was recovery time.

8. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

I never know what my next shot is going to be in the coastal marshes of Louisiana ...... a trio of greenwings passing at 45 yards or 5 bluewings dropping into the decoys at 15 yards, a mallard cupped and committed at 25 yards, a pair of gadwalls flaring from my movement at 30-35 yards, or a mottled duck passing at 50 yards. Incoming, overhead, quartering, flaring away ..... I may get all of these combinations in the same hunt. Just try to pick the perfect choke/load combination for that kind of hunting. The ballistic tables and computer models are great; I used to swear by them in my obsessive reloading days, and there is no arguing physics under controlled conditions. But I've seen so much in the field, as well as on pattern paper and chronograph, that suggests my success is driven more by my ability to put a reasonable load (of many configurations) on a bird within 50 yards than anything I could do with load selection.

My lease mates shoot 2 3/4-inch steel 6's all season long; I assume 1 1/8 ounce but I don't know. I used to load 2 3/4-inch 1 1/8 ounce of steel 5's at just under 1400 fps for the teal season, and used up whatever was left of the last opened box in the regular season. Then I shifted to 3-inch 1 1/8 ounce of steel 3's at 1450 fps for the rest of the regular season. No complaints.

Now that I can get 10 boxes of 3-inch 1 1/4 ounce of whatever shot size at 1400 fps delivered to my door for $100, or take advantage of Remington's rebate at Roger's and get those same 10 boxes of 2's or 4's at 1450 fps delivered for only $70 ........ that is what I shoot, and it will take a few seasons to shoot my current inventory. 4's, 3's, or 2's depending on what I'm feeling. But over the course of the season, my lease mates seem to bag as many ducks as I do.

JP and JFG like this.
  9. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

50yd load for what? Mosquitoes? Honey Bees?

10. baltz526

Woodcock