Small Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gglenn13, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "backed up".
    If it means you are putting together a duplex load of #2 and #5 steel, then it's possible (even though doubtful that any load shot through an IM choke is effective at 50 yards).
    If it means that your second (and third) shot are #5 steel, they will not be effective by any definition at 50 yards, no matter what the choke.
    That's my opinion.

2. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

This is a 50 yard IM pattern from a 1550fps 1 1/8oz load of copper plated B.
    38-98bd.jpg

3. Tuleman

While that is a marginal pattern at best, baltz, it's far better than I would have expected. Well done.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My patterns of the same payload in the Clear Cheddite hull with 32 grs of Asteel .....are the hammer on Spec's !
    It's interesting how effective they are out of my .703 Fixed Choked 30" Wingmaster ?

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

50 yard 5’s? Better be jacked up to the hilt in speed, and then pot luck. 50 yard B’s? Energy is there with nominal speed ...no problem.

6. Northhunter

Northhunter Refuge Member

Ringers, mostly. Smaller birds.

30% 5's under 70% 3's. 1 1/8oz. They run around 1550. I patterned them @ 45 when I worked it up. A true 50 could be a little generous, but I'm pretty good with distance and they certainly have reach. I believe the 5's maintain velocity better in this configuration. The load certainly performs better and has greater reach than a 13/16oz load of straight 3's. The 5's help keep the pattern dense and certainly play a role once you get "out there". I worked up the load to help with clean-up, and water swatting swimmers. Been shooting it for quite some time (maybe 15 years?). I have enough experience with it to know what it does, regardless of what a formula says the 5's are capable of.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Its 80% which is pretty good for a 12ga load at 50yd

8. Tuleman

While 80% at that distance is damn good, pattern percentage is only one part of the equation...and the least important one at that. Pattern uniformity is the critical part, and a pattern with large areas of thin-to-no coverage can often result in birds getting hit with one or two shot, then flying away to die a couple of days later.

9. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

X2 pretty patterns kill birds

10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With the loads I shoot the patterns do get on the thin side at 50 but it's better than the patterns shot by fellas who don't pattern their load , I believe !
    From what I have experienced shooting patterns , if I put it on the bird , it will get hit with at least 2 or more pellets and I've found it put them on the
    ground for my dog to fetch-up for me . I do know , when you start out with a 80 plus percentage pattern , it doesn't end up that way at 50 yds !