Small Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by gglenn13, Dec 22, 2017.

1. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

1550fps B steel retains enough energy at 50 yards to still be effective on Snow geese. Plus a few yards. We only get pass shooting on snows here and most of that is not for small pellets. This load was created for that. Useful 3-5 days a year. If I am not Elk hunting.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

That's the thing about putting your patterns on paper, not only will it give you percentages and distribution it will also give you signs of maximum range or pattern break up. With the load Baltz posted up he knows what the range is for the load and knows how effective it is, by the same token he knows at what range it won't be effective anymore.
    Pattern center core density is key to long range patterning, having a pattern spread out at a given range is fine however beyond that range it's going to get real thin.
    Looking at this 50 yard 1 1/2 oz BBB pattern which I designed for long range shooting you can see it has good center core density and it does kill geese beyond 50 yards.
    001.JPG

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That looks like a killer pattern BT ! I have kinda had good luck with my patterns of B's , even tho they have a little less pellets to start with , than your 1 1/2 oz
    of BB's , the 90 plus B's core is still effective out to 50 yds on the Spec's and Snows I hunt here . It did take some range time on the patterning board to find the
    Sweet Spot but ( as I said ) the .703 in the Wingmasters fixed choke seems to like this load !

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Thanks hopefully get to try it out on some Snows soon. That was after six other loads didn't pattern worth a darn with the same 1 1/2 oz load in the SP-10 and that one got it. Trial and error sometimes pays off !!