Small Spread Advice

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by andre556, Dec 16, 2016.

1. andre556

andre556 New Member

I'm heading out in the morning with snow in the forecast with just over a dozen decoys. I'm new to goose hunting my hunting buddy is going to be plowing so running everything out of my car. Just looking for some tips on how to set up a spread this small also I'll be using a layout blind.

2. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Honkers?
    If yes you could do two family groups, but with only 12+ decoys you'd be fine with only one group.

3. andre556

andre556 New Member

With advice given from someone hunting my area we have been using a V spread. With such a small amount of decoys you think it's better to scatter them in a group?

4. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

If you want a "landing" zone then I'd do two family groups, but with that small of a spread I'd like the profile of one group.

5. heveshot

heveshot New Member

The big challenge is if you are hunting layout blinds, make sure your well hid. The less decoys the more chance they'll see you.

6. IDSLAYER

IDSLAYER Refuge Member

Last week in the snow set out 12 RDC's. Two groups, eight and four. The geese ate them up. No circling, landing right in the kill hole.

7. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Its great when you use decoys that actually look like a real goose .... I run as few DSD's as I can get away with and still do great most of the time ... 6 or 8 usually worked well for me ...think outside the box ... DSD's are the original custom goose decoy and still the best poses of them all , too bad you cant get them when you need them ....so long to those guys ..fed up with that soap opera ..... Im buying RDC specks soon as I have the cash

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Yesterday was cold when I left the house -12 .
    I put out 12 decoys a simple u or v shape 6 near or around the blind three on each forward leg out about 19 yards

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

12 decoys again today, To nasty to even think of setting out more

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

3 groups of four grouped fairly tight to each other but spaced out from the other groups. Set up 20 yards in front of your blind