Smallest dog blind

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by WidgeonmanGH, Oct 25, 2017.

1. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

I hunt the mud flats so the best camo is hold still. I have a one year old AWS and after the first hunt I realized that it will not work to just have her hold still.

In looking at the blinds out there they seem to all be made for 100lb labs or 2 or 3 AWS's lol. Any tips/brands that might be the smallest/lowest profile one out there.

Thanks

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

upload_2017-10-25_20-4-55.png

Cement tub with a camouflage cover, and natural cover over the top... You can purchase a number of sized tubs, and there is thin neoprene that you can put on over the dog (and under the camo) that really helps to keep the dog warm and dry.

Commercially speaking I would look at Mutthuts

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

What Squaller suggested is probably the best option for hunting the flats you do.

4. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

A piece of burlap.

5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

SqUALLER, didn't you used to use blue foam in the bottom of the tub, or something?

I am considering that set up. Please post pics if you have them.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I cut up an old pair of neoprene waders for my dog to lay on. Warm, doesn't absorb water, camo and a good use for old waders. Could even use neoprene to cover the dog and keep it warmer.

7. WidgeonmanGH

I have used the tub for myself with a beach chair. My thinking was it would keep my beach chair from sinking (which it did) but I eventually just left it home because it likes to fill with water. I think basically the dog would be sitting in water the whole time. I also don't think she would be real fond of having stuff put on top of her. She will kennel but hold still while I cover you with a blanket..... not so much. I have one of those elevated bed things that might work well for the dryness and was trying to figure out which dog blind to put on top of it. I could of course make one but just shopping around prior to messing with it.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

GHG used to make a small version of the Ground Force Dog Blind. It wasn't exactly a hot seller, and I doubt they still make them, but it might be worth a call.

9. WidgeonmanGH

Looks like Basspro's version is the shortest. Tangle free has an even shorter one but they are real proud of it at $120.

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Best option is a piece of plywood with a couple ridges on the bottom (to raise it up just a bit), so that the dog is lying on a dry piece of wood and the water sits at the bottom. I think that the board does far more good than wet neoprene, as I would rather sit on a dry seat than a wet neoprene seat myself.

When the dog goes out for a retrieve in our case, the tub is very close, and we tip it over to drain any water.

I use a small tub, and the dogs learn to curl up and sit in that tub.

The dogs HATE getting in that tub at first. I have yet to have a dog, that I could not post my training sessions on WWF... But, after a brief period, they not only become comfortable with the tubs, they prefer to lay in them... Training needs to be done at home...

Currently, I use thin neoprene under a cordura camouflage cover, with natural cover piled on top. I recently hunted with a guest that was really surprised at how well the dog was hidden while we were hunting (I pull cover away and off the dogs for any pictures).