Smart weed - Barnyard Grass Question

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Bill Gammel, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Bill Gammel

Bill Gammel New Member

I have seen Smartweed and Barnyard Grass listed as good companion crops for ducks. Being a complete beginner at moist soil management, I am confused. I thought it would be more of an either or with those two species. I thought BYG was released by spraying with 2-4D on broadleaf species and that would kill the smartweed and Roundup would kill the BYG but not the Smartweed. So I am confused as to how to manage them together. Or Do they mean if one doesn't make a good crop the other will?

Please let me know what I am missing.

Thanks in advance

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Roundup will kill both if they are growing. One does not have to spray to get either of those plants. I don't spray to release barnyardgrass unless the area is dominated by undesirable broadleaves. Smartweed would not fall into that category. Now lets say you have an area that is 70% undesirable and 15% smartweed and 15% barnyardgrass. One could spray the whole area with roundup to completely start over or even starting over by disking. IF in early summer when moisture is still good. Late summer I would stick to just the 2,4-D spraying. An exception would be if you had the capabilities to irrigate the area. Sometimes you can get lucky and spray/disk around your desirable vegetation if not heavily intermixed with the bad.

3. DuckHunter942

DuckHunter942 New Member

Smartweed and Barnyard grass are listed as FACW species, meaning they both prefer hydric environments. From my observations, Smartweed seems the 'wetter' of the two though.

4. Bill Gammel

Bill Gammel New Member

Thank you, I learned several things there. I have a swamp that is dominated by Swamp Smartweed (the perennial type with white buds). Last year I disked a small portion and jungle rice and BYG came up. I want to go slow and not mess up horribly. If I keep disking larger and larger areas would l eventually increase the food variety and add the better seed producers or is there a better way????? Irrigation is not possible yet. Thanks again for your help.

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Swamp Smartweed is not as desirable as PA Smartweed. Discing it will create more Swamp because it is a rhizome, discing it cuts the roots and it spreads. I have dealt with it in crop fields and it’s a bear to control.

double limit likes this.
  6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Based on your past disking and subsequent rice cut grass and byg results, I’d disk some more. You apparently have a good grass seed bank there. But I would probably go in and burn down that swamp weed first to see if you could rid a lot of it. That stuff tends to dominate an area if left alone.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  7. Bill Gammel

Bill Gammel New Member

Is there a herbicide that will actually kill the swamp smart weed in to the rhizome. I have little experience with plants with rhizomes, just garden ferns and phragmites (cane). The usual glysophate would burn the tops but doesn't seem to touch the rhizomes. Within a few weeks the plant comes back. Will this happen if i spray the swamp smartweed?? Is there something that will kill it????? Thanks again.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Based on some studies I found, you’ll get the best results with either 2,4D or Imazapyr. The later is non selective (like glyphosate) wearas the 2,4D will kill just the broadleaves. Looks like 4-5 weeks to get over a 95% kill. Remember if you’re spraying in water you’ll need an approved product for such.

9. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Imazapyr aka Habitat or Arsenal will leave it a dead zone for a year. Great for dealing with invasives but not so great for general use.

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Good point Clayton. Guess that’s why it had 100% effectiveness 5 weeks after application.