Smart weed seed help

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by lowlandhnter, Jun 14, 2017.

1. lowlandhnter

lowlandhnter Refuge Member

Those who have purchased smartweed in the past will you please recommend where you acquired it. (If in your Opinion is worth recommending). Also how many pounds of seed to the acre ?

Thank you

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I Recently purchased from river refuge seed comp. Quick shipping and great price. They suggested 30lbs. to the acre.

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Look at Ernst seed too. I've gotten seed from them in past and have been very pleased.

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Wait until fall then harvest it yourself from small stands around your area. Planting it in the spring will not insure a stand for you can hunt over in the fall. I had an old professor in college that said," Always seed a plant when Mother Nature seeds it".

Albino Woodie likes this.
  5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Good advice, I've harvested my fair share for sure and have seen good results. Only problem, however, is some smarteeed seeds apparently need a stratification period, although I've found conflicting info on that from USDA and other sources. That said, some seed companies will put their seed through a scarification process that breaks seed dormancy and allows immediate germination. Ask them if you order.

Albino Woodie likes this.
  6. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

I just placed a 50# order of Smartweed from Ernst seed. Their seed has not gone through the stratification process. Therefore any seed planted now or this fall will not break dormancy and will not germinate until next spring. My plan is to disk up the ground, broadcast it then lightly disk again. I will broadcast some Jap Millet over the top in order to have a crop for the ducks this fall. If all goes as planned next year we should have a good stand of Smartweed with some volunteer Jap millet mixed in.

Albino Woodie and JFG like this.
  7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

If you live in Missouri, or IL, it is likely that smartweed is already in your soil /seed bank.

you can check your county by going to the following NRCS site:

https://plants.usda.gov/java/county?statefips=28&symbol=POPU5

8. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

I've never bought smartweed. I've always tried to take advantage of what mother nature gives me for free. Smartweed also transplants very easy. Once you get it established you should never have to buy any again.:tu

cam and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

You said a mouthful there. The smartweed gets so tall at my place some years you can't see over it standing on the pegs of the 4 wheeler.

One of the projects on my todo list is to harvest some seed.

10. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

How hard is it to re-establish smartweed after dirt work is done? Does it require the silty soil for growth?