Smartweed

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by huntingisawayoflif, Aug 9, 2012.

1. huntingisawayoflif

huntingisawayoflif New Member

New to the forum. Got a simple question:

What's the easiest way to tell if Pennsylvania Smartweed is "mature?"

I don't want to try to move it to my duck hole until it's ready.

2. What are you trying to accomplish? It will go to flower before it goes to seed. When it starts flowering if you can keep it alive and transport many plants to allow pollinization you can do it that way. Or you can wait till it goes to seed (little black seeds) collect them in a ziploc bag and go seed teh new areas.

3. Rob Robertson

Rob Robertson Elite Refuge Member

I would wait till the end of summer and just collect the seeds.

[​IMG]

4. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

That smartweed is an annual, so it will not come back next year and it may die during transplanting. Annuals usually use most their resources into producing seeds, so the plant may be 'spent' and not have enough reserves to try and put roots back down after transplanting. Once it sets seed it is mostly done with anyways.

You can easily collect the seed from them though and spread them out on your place and they will multiply readily with the right conditions. Sometimes the pink flower will still be there when the seed is ready to pick, you will notice a black seed within the flowers, good luck

5. huntingisawayoflif

huntingisawayoflif New Member

I appreciate the help. I will just monitor the flowers closely and when the seeds start to show "harvest" them. Is there a good way to store them until next spring?

6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

It is best to seed it when Mother Nature does.......in the fall. I got mine started by harvesting 3 five gallon buckets of seed heads and scattering them. Now I have a solid stand.

7. shoreman

shoreman Refuge Member

I scrattered mine on a big card board box to dry them out and then just placed them in a bucket. Just spread them out tonight from last year. Card board worked good taking moisture out.

8. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

What WHUP said, best to seed in the fall.

As far as storing them til you are ready, I collect seeds in a paper bag usually.
    You will want to spread them out to let em dry, cardboard or newspaper, somewhere where they are not going to get wet or too hot.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I've been collecting smartweed seed for the last couple years, along with recently gathering a pile of barnyard seed. All this in anticipation of seeding my presently under construction moist soil unit. I understand the reasoning by MattP and WHUP favoring seeding in the fall but was wondering if those seeds would germinate shortly after broadcasting or did they need a stratification period before doing so? I will have to draw down my place next spring and then disc, afterwards which I had planned on broadcasting all seeds. So, I guess I'm not sure which way to go? Fall or Spring?

To the original poster's question, all the methods mentioned are pretty much what I've adhered to. When you see it dark brown or black, it will litterally fall off the head when you touch it. It's done!!

10. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Elite Refuge Member

If you can plant in the fall...thats the way to go. The closer you replicate what it does in nature the better the germination rate.