Smartweed

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by huntingisawayoflif, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Super Swamper

Super Swamper Moderator Moderator

2. Talleyquacker

Talleyquacker Elite Refuge Member

Man do I need my butt kicked, been wondering where I could get some smartweed. After setting here lookin at your alls pics I thought crap I have that and sure enough I been weedeating it for years, on a dirt bank right below my house. :doh:doh

3. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

LOL :)

It's a good feeling to discover you've been sitting on a "gold mine", though! :tu

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

It is pretty thick in the ditches around here.

I see big white flower clusters and pink. Pink is penn right? What is the white?

5. Talleyquacker

Talleyquacker Elite Refuge Member

Yeah feels good to know where some is but I have cut it so many times this year 95% wont mature enough to have seed. Its growin in a bunch of old rotten wood chips that my BNL dumped there helping control some erosion problems I was having, The chips are so loose and rotten that you can pull up a whole plant easy and it still have all its roots. So I may move some like that this year. Can I plant it in an inch or 2 of water and it still grow. Have an old beaver pond I would love to put it around, the water in the pond is acually or 7 inches lower than usual.

6. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Talley - They will do great in an inch of water. In fact, I wouldnt pull them up and transplant unless you have some water in there. I transplanted a few and they did fine. Do it sooner rather than later though.

7. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Berry farms are the answer. We have a berry farmer in a river valley that pretty much mowes the smartweed every year and it grows like crazy. He said I could take all I wanted. The first picture is with a pitch fork next to the smartweed and the second is the back of my truck with 3 garbage bags full and I cut some and put it on a tarp. I took it to the pond to dry out and process and a few seeds might fall off in the process. Oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

The mature seeds for Pennsylvania smartweed are black and look like a Q almost

The white smartweed can be a number of things, some are perennials and don't produce as much seed, water pepper is one of them

There are also several smaller perennial pink smartweeds also that are less desirable

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

It is not water pepper. Much larger flower head. Looks like Penn just white.

10. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I can get my hands on some of the white smartweed as well would it be a good smartweed or just stick to the pink smartweed?