Smartweed

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by huntingisawayoflif, Aug 9, 2012.

1. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Some of the experts here can correct me if I'm wrong but I think for the most part what constitutes a "good" smart weed from one not so good is based on the amount of seed it produces and not so much on it's color. My wife's uncles farm/pasture border areas are slam full of pink smart weed but it does not produce the volumn of seed per plant that a Penn does. It also colonizes so thick that it would pretty much shade out anything else good that might want to grow. So that particular pink one might not be so good. As for the white, the water pepper sw throws very few seed, yet the "nodding" sw grows tall and has multiple, large seed heads that produce lots of seed. I can't attest to the "flavor" of each but we all certainly know Penn gets the most cudos.

2. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

Yes, there are annual white smartweeds that are good. The perennials are not as desiarble. There are perennial pinks and perennial white smartweeds also. Annuals produce more seed

3. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I just found a bunch of the white and pulled some last night. What type of smartweed is the white?

Thanks for the help.

4. Matt P

Matt P Elite Refuge Member

There are over 70 species of smartweeds (Polygonum). If it has lots of flowers it is a 'good' smartweed because it produces many seeds, whether it is white or pink. Some Pennsylvania smartweed can be white as well

Here they are: http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=POLYG4

5. Bgoodman3

Bgoodman3 Refuge Member

We have the white as well it has lots of seeds and is a little larger with thicker stalk.

[​IMG]

6. rdj.olympia

I have been picking smartweed out of a berry farm next to property we hunt. He said I can have all I want as long as I take it all. I have tried to do as much as I can and filled the back of my truck(a little barnyard millet in the bottom) in about 20 minutes with white smartweed. I would agree heavy stalks and lots of seeds. Can't wait to see what happens next year. [​IMG]

7. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

Man, good job!

Wish I had a TRUCKLOAD like yours. :bow

8. jasonb

jasonb Senior Refuge Member

To you guys that collected seed and broadcasted it last fall or this spring...

How are your spots coming along? Any thoughts from your firsthand experiences?

9. rdj.olympia

Well things are looking good for me so far this year. Below is a close up of how things are coming. The second photo is of the same foodplot and you can not tell but to the left is the golden millet and on the right side is biologic waterfowl blend. The plan is to plant the biologic half next year with golden millet and not plant the golden millet side and hopefully it will reseed as promised. In the picture you will see our golden millet, smartweed and birdsfoot trefoil. We also planted barnyard millet but can't tell them apart at this time. For those who are not familiar birdsfoot trefoil is a type of clover and they call it "poor mans alfalfa" This was a big bonus for us because it will be adding nitrogen at no charge and produces a fair number of small seeds and is a great forage crop for widgeon, pintails and geese. The good news is things are looking pretty good and even if we get hit with too much dry weather we have enough native plants that will produce some groceries. Hopeful we get some timely rains and things could be pretty awesome. I have also been posting pics on the "Food plots 2013" The area that does not have the lush green will be tilled for a little moist soil management approach so we can brush hog before the season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jmwaterfowler

jmwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Don't think this has been answered yet if it has sorry for asking again.

How do you broadcast the seed in the fall when you have water on your wetland for the season. When you all are saying "fall" what month are you talking about?

How soon can or do you broadcast the seed before you put water on the wetland?

I think I might try transplanting the plant into my wet areas as well.