Smartwork Series

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Pelican Guide, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Pelican Guide

Pelican Guide Elite Refuge Member

This may sound like an odd question. When I buy the first Smartworks basics book, when do I need to incorporate smartfetch? Do I need to worry about it at the beginning or does the dog complete the basics first? Also, what about the second book, at what age/stage do i use that at. Just trying to clear the air and do my homework before i get a pup home. Thanks for your help!

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

PG,
    The text would lead you to the answer to this question, but since you've asked - Force Fetch is a central component to basics. At around 6 months of age your dog should be assessed for readiness to begin formalized training. Maturity in character and having cut adult teeth are central criteria because FF occurs fairly early in the basics process. SmartFetch is even more detailed than the program outlined in Smartwork volume one, and it contains all components of FF; all the way to water force. That means you will actually benefit from using the two books in tandem during the course of basics.
    See above.
    When you have given ample attention to all the work in Smartwork one, volume two will pick right up at that level of work and guide you toward training a fully trained, finished retreiver. I strongly recommend not putting the cart before the horse; moving ahead to the work in Smartwork II before finishing basics and transition ala Smartwork one. ;)

Good training,

EvanG

3. Pelican Guide

Pelican Guide Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the clarification EvanG!