Smoked Canada Goose

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BirdJ, Nov 7, 2016.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Just started to get into smoking game and fish. Was wondering if any of you have a wet brine recipe you could share? I know there are some on the market but was wonder if I have the stuff right here at home. Thanks

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Basic wet Brine

1/2 gallon apple juice + 1 1/4 cups salt...

You can add garlic, white, red, or black pepper, molasses, celery seed, etc...just depends on what you want it to taste like..... you can add some pink salt too.

Whole birds are tough to smoke. smoke with skin on if possible. Legs are good.

I think breasted birds are better w dry brine, and a quick smoke.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    BirdJ likes this.
  3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Good advice there. They are so lean. Be very careful not to overcook.

4. bcrisco

bcrisco Refuge Member

A little late to the party, but I usually go (depending on how many I'm doing) 1 gal water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar (amount will change depending on amount of breasts but the ratio will remain). I also add some steak seasoning that I picked up at Cabelas a while back. Sure any steak seasoning would work. Like Native said, though, don't over cook. I took mine to an IT of between 150-155. Had no complaints from those that tried (especially those that don't care for goose)

5. Heronk77

Heronk77 Senior Refuge Member

I smoke a fair number of goose breasts each fall. I start with skinless breasts and puncture them lightly with a Jaccard meat tenderizer. Then I marinate them in regular (not low fat) Italian salad dressing in the fridge for 3 days. I pat dry them and sprinkle them with chef's salad spice just before I smoke them.