Smoked Ribs, need some Quick Guidance

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BuckeyeDuck, Jan 10, 2006.

1. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

Well I finally got my smoker put together and seasoned. Thanks David :tu

Have to take a sick day tomorrow to tend my poor little buddy, 1 yr. old, not adjusting to all those nasty germs at daycare :(

So I have a whole day and I am taking some frozen ribs out to thaw. Wanting to make a nice dinner. When I do ribs on the grill I always dry rub and cook them in the oven at ~225 for a few hours to tender them up first, then finish on the grill w/ BBQ sauce, but now that I have a smoker, how do you do it? Time, Temps, etc.

This smoking stuff is a new adventure for me. I appreciate the help. Will post up some Pics. Thanks - BD

2. decoydog

decoydog Refuge Member

If I may offer some advise to you. In my smokers, I never go over 150 degrees. This is a point of contention with people who smoke foods. I am of the firm belief the smoking at a lower temp. for a longer time, will deliver the best product. Other think that oven blasting the meat at 225 degrees ofr higher is the way to go. My suggestion to you is to try both ways, to find what works and tastes best for you. BBQ sauce (for me) is always put on the ribs as I take them off the smoker. BBQ sauce hampers the saturation of smoke into the meat, and actually trapping it on the outside giving the sauce a bitter flavor. Here is a job that I did over the holiday for a customer. This was a 14 hour job in the smoker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AmiableLabs

AmiableLabs Elite Refuge Member

I LOVE this website's information -- http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html

4. AmiableLabs

AmiableLabs Elite Refuge Member

Given that heat-friendly Bacteria incubates at 140 degrees, I NEVER let my smoker go under 160 degrees.

And I hardly consider 225 degrees "oven blasting."

The temp of the smoker is relative to the cut and kind of meat. The purpose of "low and slow" (approx. 200-225 degrees) is to render connective tissue in cheap cuts of meat into gelatin and make it tender. "Low and slow" is always called for in pork spareribs, pork shoulder, and beef brisket.

It is senseless to "low and slow" store-bought poultry like chicken and turkey, because they have no significant connective tissue to convert, and you can slide your fat layer off the bird instead of melting it into the meat. You also risk unnecessarily drying the bird out (you can pre-empt this issue by brining).

Can you "low and slow" tenderloins, baby-back ribs, and poultry? Of course. Will it work? Of course. But it is not logical and can produce inferior results, so why bother?

I stay up all night long to smoke shoulders, and get up very early to smoke spareribs. I'll continue to sleep in the days I smoke chicken and turkeys.

5. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

As many have mentioned...I use the 3-2-1 method for ribs.

Three hours on the smoker at 250 degrees....(The ribs soak up some smoke)
    Two hours on the smoker at 250 degrees....(Ribs wrapped in Aluminum Foil)
    One hour on the smoker at 250 degrees.... (Spray the ribs and keep em moist)

Try this quick and easy recipe.
    Smear French's yellow mustard all over the ribs and then apply your dry rub over the ribs. Let set overnight (Or as long as possible) and then put them on/in the smoker.

For step two...mix pineapple, orange or apple juice and soy sauce (I use a 3-1 ratio) and use for a marinade. I wrap the meat in foil and pour the mixture into the "packet" and crimp it tight so it doesn't leak.

For step three...remove the ribs from the foil (be careful not to spill the juices) and put back into the smoker and spray with new marinade as needed to keep moist and enhance flavor. This will allow the ribs to finish and "crust" a little from the foil.

Good luck,

Mack

6. sped281

sped281 Senior Refuge Member

i have a slightly different time line i usually smoke my ribs between 200 and 225 degrees for 3 1/2 hrs and then wrap in tinfoil for 1 1/2 hr and finishing them off with bbq sauce out of the tinfoil for 15-20 minutes i found out if you go too long in tin foil they get to tender and fall apart where if ou back the tinfoil time back a little they will be tender yet will turn out close to perfect as for a rub i do the brown sugar based rub with other seasonings to taste and i always add apple juice to my water pan for added flavor and i mop my ribs every 45 minutes with apple juice/brown sugar combo with so crushed red added for a little kick but every body does ribs different and i learned by trial and error and i always write down what i did the time before so i can make little changes here and there in quest of the perfect rib

7. 98ramtough

98ramtough Senior Refuge Member

I have tasted decoy dog's results from smoking and let me tell you, he could make just about anything taste great. His smoked food is better than anything I have ever tasted or bought.

8. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

All this talk re time,temp is fine BUT one flaw is that you are cooking meat at temp over 120 or at least kippering it- now I'd call it smoke cooking and i go along with it--I do brisket about 10-12 hrs- 5-6 un foiled and baste it every hour- then i put a small amt of BBQ sc on it and wrap it in dbl foil then put it back in oven for 3-4 hrs depending upon size and weight.
    I actually do many kinds of meat in this manner just adj times and sc. ribs i do not wrap in foil. nor chix.

9. decoydog

decoydog Refuge Member

Everything That I smoke is done at a low temp. Iam very well aware of bacteria and their formations. However, During the smoking process, that is how I DO IT. The meat is then brought up to temp to finish off. I did not want this to be a topic about whoes "junk" is bigger, that is why I put in the disclaimer stating that every body does something different. That is why smoking foods is considered an art form, and that is why they having smoking competitions. So don't rip on me and the way I do things because it is different than what you do. As far as the term "oven basting", it is a term that my grandfather had used for smoking meats other than "cold smoke". I was just informed that one or some of you that responded do competition smoking. Good for you.

10. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all the insight...keep it coming.:tu It's been an enjoyable read and that Weber site was pretty good too. It's nice to see different views and techniques. Just got back from the doctor's office and my little buddy is sleeping, so it's time to fire up the smoker.

Ribs have been sitting out coming to room temp. This first go around I think I'm going to do ~ 200-250 for 4 hours that should put them done when my wife gets home from work... Chips I'm using are dry hickory chunks and those shredded Jack Daniels barrel chips soaked in water. I might split a whole chicken and throw it on there too.

After that I have some deer and beef jerky to put on without the waterbowl to smoke a bit and then I'll finish up in the dehydrator if need be.

Thanks for the advice :clap