Smoked Ribs, need some Quick Guidance

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BuckeyeDuck, Jan 10, 2006.

1. AmiableLabs

AmiableLabs Elite Refuge Member

As long as he doesn't brine his birds, my victory is assured! ;)

It is my belief he cooks like he reads online posts -- with his mind turned off! :l

Meat cleavers and chef's knives at twenty paces --

Allez-Cuisine!

2. 98ramtough

98ramtough Senior Refuge Member

Overcooked, jerky didn't turn out?

Maybe cooked too fast at too high of temp┬┐;)

3. BuckeyeDuck

BuckeyeDuck Elite Refuge Member

Had the propane burner down as low as it would go without going out, too low to produce smoke, still high enough to cook it. It's the good old trusty dehydrator from now on :tu

4. AmiableLabs

I am going to smoke ribs for the Bearz game Sunday. I'll post pics when I am done.

I am also going to brine a roasting chicken Saturday night, so I can throw that in the smoker too on Sunday.

5. Redhead

Redhead Senior Refuge Member

you only brine over night? too short in my opinion do you use any sodium nitrite in your brine mix?

look forward to the pics

6. AmiableLabs

I'm happy with it. I've gone up to 48 hours, but I think the meat absorbs too much water.

Nope, I have never messed with the stuff. Unlike pookie here who smokes at 150 degrees and therefore must worry about those wonderful and tiny little creatures like clostrinium botulinium, I smoke at 200-225 and it has never been an issue.

Do you use it?

Regarding my brine mix, I am going to try something new -- salt only. No sugar. No pepper. No vegetables, herbs or spices. I think I just don't like flavored brines as much as plain ol' salt. I'll find out this weekend!

Go BEARZ!!

7. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Amiable Labs-
    From your description you are going to smokecook your ribs not smoke them??
    Try using Tender Quick(Morton's) some time-it is quite good for meat- fish and birds that you are going to smoke or smoke/cook-I use straight Canning salt/br sugar on my salmon( 30 min) to smoke but nada on ribs prior to cooking except my Dry Rub-ditto brisket- also if I want to corn something then I use Tender Quick.

8. Redhead

Redhead Senior Refuge Member

I have used it sometimes turns the meat a nice pinkish color and it doesn't settle right with some people as for the brine I use sugar and canning or pickling salt brine chickens for 3-5 days and turkeys7-10days salmon 2-3days

Yes if you are cooking it then you really don't need the sodium nitrite it is a good just in case I do believe you have to use it if you are doing it commercially and selling it Although I could be wrong it has happened in the past once or twice

Good luck on the ribs let us know how they turn out
    redhead

9. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Your right about the color- comes from Sodium Nitrites and Nitrates in Tender quick- very similar to using bothe prague powder 1&2-just easier.

10. AmiableLabs

Where I am from, when I say "smoke" I mean what you apparently call "smokecook."

When I say "cold smoke" I mean what you apparently call "smoke."

So yeah, I am going to smoke (or smokecook) some ribs and chicken tomorrow.