Smoked salmon?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by NEgander81, May 13, 2011.

1. NEgander81

NEgander81 Senior Refuge Member

I just bought a smoker, and am having quite a good time with it. I have some salmon filets that I want to try in the smoker. Any good tips / recipes for me to try?

2. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

The typical base brine recipe that I used was 1 gallon water, 1 cup of canning salt and 1 cup of brown sugar. It will take a few rounds for you to get the amounts of salt and sugar to your liking.

Other ingredients to use for flavor are- black pepper, red pepper, garlic (fresh or powder), onion powder, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper. Apple juice can also be added to the brine in place of some of the water. Some of the dry seasonings can be added to the fish dry just before or a couple hours before smoking for more flavor.

As for brining, I soak for about 12 hrs. Remove from brine, rinse and dry and place on a wire rack on a cookie sheet. Leave the fish at room temp for about an hour until a glaze appears on the fish. Then place in the smoker. I would have to rearrange the pieces as they smoked so they would get done evenly and remove pieces as they get done. It is best to take them off the smoker before they actually appear done.

It will take a few times to get it down to your own liking. Whitebass make for good smoked fish and are good practice fish.

3. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Don't listen to banded1. He likes to dress guys up in pirate outfits and he plays with obama dolls.

4. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Did you buy a smoker (cool smoke) or or a smoker cooker? no biggie just that end product is different-I use both- my Brinkman elec smoker /cooker hot smokes/cooks salmon fillets in about 1hr whilst my smoker takes about 5-6 hrsm , starting with smoker @ about 85F with skin side down-turn it once and then going to 125F at end. if fillets develop any small white dots on them it's TOO hot.
    For eating tonight I'd use the first one but for freezing etc i use the later. brine same for me- about like above except i use 1/2C Br sugar- i've done it with all manner of seasonings but always back to just salt & sugar- i brine for 30 min -drain(don't rinse) pat dry and then put in smoker or cooker. I use mostly fruit(apple) wood for cooking and mesquite when cold smoking. Some times I make dry strips (squaw candy) or kipper my cool smoked fish and I also cann it-plain using just some veg oil or with Mustard,salsa,tomato,or hot sauces. My present smoker is small- 2'x3' x 4'hi-but my old one in AK was 4'x8'x8'tall. been doing salmon for maybe 30 yrs-any questions pm or email me.

5. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Don't listen to Nazi. He now wears an eyepatch from a cooking incident. He started himself on fire and tried putting it out with a fork. He started wearing a pirate hat afterwards to make it look like he looks cool. It didn't work.

6. NEgander81

NEgander81 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the info guys. I bought a small electric smoker, so guess it would be a smoker/cooker. I did some Brats in it the other night, and they turned out great! Gonna give it a go this afternoon, so here goes nothing....:pra

7. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Glad I could help:tu I hope you didn't use Banded1s "sausage marinade" for your brats:pra

:l:l:l

8. BlindDuck

BlindDuck Elite Refuge Member

4 cups Apple Juice
    2 cups Maple Syrup (the real stuff)
    1 cup salt

24 hour soak

4 to 8 hour air dry after removing from brine :)fp do not skip the air dry step)

Smoke for 4 to 6.5 hours at 200 deg using Alder and/or Apple wood chips.

9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

What does the air dry do BD? Wouldn't that make the flesh side over dried before even smoking?

10. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Nope..It seals it. And forms that classic exterior.:yes