Smokers

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by goosnit, Feb 20, 2016.

1. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

I'm looking to purchase a new smoker this year. I've been using a Brinkman charcoal smoker ,
    but I don't like the fact that the access is from the top . Any recommendations on either a electric or wood ? Any pros or cons would be appreciated .........

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Need to narrow it down more. Are you wanting set it and forget it like the electric? I'd look at pellet smokers in that case, unless you wanna spend a chunk on a gravity fed type rig. If not then you're loking at offset type smokers(firebox in side). Great rigs and make great que but can be a handful. Much more babysitting to keep fire and temp just right, especially in a cheaper rig without mods.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

I recently purchased a master built electric smoker with the glass door feature. Many great things about this smoker. The ease of set up and maintenance is great. I am able to control the temperature very well and the small loader for wood-chips is nice because a small amount of chips really go a long way. It comes with a meat probe which is also very accurate for checking the meats temp. The glass door allows me to view while keeping the smoker shut tight. Everything I've cooked so far has been very tasty. I would recommend the master built electric smoker.

bcrisco, KEN and eiderking like this.
  4. Elsie Weldon

Elsie Weldon New Member

Smoked meat will taste amazing if it is charcoal grilled. But to make an awesome salmon, turkey, pulled pork you need a specialized smoker. With a good modern smoker you don't need to hover for longer hours and no need to continuously monitor your machine. I like charcoal Smokers most. Recently my friend opened a barbecue restaurant and I suggest him to do food industry public relations as it will help him to reach out easily to his target audience.

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I have this one: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-coal-smoker

Pros: It's a smoker and a grill, expanded metal grates throughout (user preference), Has big wheels which make it easier to move around, firebox holds a good bit of wood/charcoal.

Cons: You better not have much to do, because you are gonna be babysitting it without mods (I'm going to line all door openings with exhaust header tape via rivets), it's kinda expensive for what it is if not on sale (mine was $279 on sale when I got it), doesn't come with a thermostat (separate at Academy for like $30).

If you want fire and forget, look into the electric or the wood pellet/disk. They maintain a more consistent heat. I believe Bradley (?) makes one that uses disks.

6. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks New Member

I have two Masterbuilts and the 30"one with the glass door rocks. set the temp time etc. add your choice of wood it let it go. The internal thermometer is great. I have the kit for cold smoking as well haven't tried that yet but will this spring .

7. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

If you want to make one yourself, google 'ugly drum smoker'. I'm not handy at all and built mine for about $150 (including drum). You can control and stabilize the temperature exactly with a minimum of effort. I tried making modifications to my old smoker (making baffles, adding firebricks, etc.), but the UDS beats it by a mile.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Only reason I didn't suggest that is he said he was tired of the top loadkng(which I totally understand). That said, I've made some pretty dang good eatinz in my uds.

9. Smoke68

Smoke68 Refuge Member

If you want easy combined with charcoal, get a DigiQ controller. It's not cheap, but worth it for those long cooks.

callinfowl likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Not even really needed on a good tight uds; once your temp settles it's pretty much hands off.