Smoking a whole duck?

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by duckblind, Nov 17, 2015.

1. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I am going to try and smoke a few ducks for Thanksgiving this year. I have yet to do this but I used my smoke a lot. Do you guys stuff the cavity with anything if so what do you use?... apples, onion, oranges, stuffing etc.

I plan to brine with water, brown sugar and salt. Let them go over night and smoke the next day. I have also read where people are using maple syrup or honey and brushing it on while it smokes. Do anyone have any suggestions or recipes they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

What temp and for how long are you smoking? What type of equipment are you going to use? If you have a bread based stuffing in the cavity I would think it will absorb so much smoke that it will taste like pure smoke.

Like anything, you could spritz/baste/brush during the cook. I just did a duck the other night (big fat domestic from the butcher) and put my favorite rub on the skin and let that crisp up - came out great.

Try a couple with honey and a couple with a dry rub. Mix it up. Family is fun to experiment on.

3. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I have a mallard and a whistler that I am going to try. I have a smoky mt. propane smoker and plan on using apple wood. I plan to pull once the internal temp reaches 170.

4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I'd smoke it at 225* for 2-3 hours and pull it at 155*. 170* is a touch long IMO. I wouldn't stuff it until the last 20mins or so if you were going to because it will absorb a lot of smoke fast. I'd also put it on a med grill for just a couple minutes to crisp up the skin. I personally am not crazy about the soft skin after just being smoked.

I like to add a fair amount of a southwest style or Cajun seasoning to the brine beforehand. Remove from the brine and let it air dry for a couple hours before smoking.

5. sportnclays

sportnclays Refuge Member

You can also smoke as Banded recommended, but 170* will dry and toughen it. All wildgame should never be over cooked. I have been doing 225* for 2 hours, then place in small roasting pan add 2 cups of chicken broth to pan the seal with Aluminum Foil, place back on for 2 hours, remove and let stand for 1/2 hour before unwrapping foil. The juice in the pan is great base for gravy or bone meat off ducks add to juice and serve over rice!

6. MobileMike

MobileMike Senior Refuge Member

This afternoon I cooked six green wing teal on my grill using the smoker box. I built a good pile of coals and cooked the ducks to the side with indirect heat and smoke (pecan chips) After 50minutes of smoking, I removed the ducks from the grill and transferred to my oven...set at 225 degrees. One hour later I removed the birds and let rest, while still covered with aluminum foil. I think they turned out great, but could have been better if I brined them prior to smoking. I seasoned the birds with multiple seasonings prior to smoking. I also stuffed the cavity of the teal with sliced apples.

Can't wait to try it again with larger birds.
    MobileMike

7. LiamSmith

LiamSmith New Member

I like ducks to be stuffed with oranges.

8. MobileMike

MobileMike Senior Refuge Member

I forgot to mention that I cooked some red potatos to o withy the teal. I sliced the small potatos in half and used real butter and salt. After knocking out the last one, I was left with two slices of teal. I then spied a puddle of melted butter on the plate. I speared the duck and dragged it through the butter. I couldn't believe how awesome this flavor combination was. Anybody else done this with duck?

9. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

I like ducks to be stuffed with oranges. Very good with rind on.

BirdJ likes this.