Snack sticks an jerky: favorite seasonings??

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Edisto ducks, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Edisto ducks

Edisto ducks Senior Refuge Member

What are your favorite seasonings for duck/goose Snack Sticks? I have had average luck making them so far. Please help!!!!

Same question for jerky. I know you use cure for jerky, but is it necessary for snack sticks?

Any suggestions for cooking times? I've been cooking snack stocks at around 200 hanging them in the oven until internal temp reaches 170. Am I missing something?

2. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

I usually buy the kits. I smok them at 225 to the internal temp is around 151-155. Really good way to use up your goose meat.

3. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Jerky is just Yo****o's Gourmet sauce with extra garlic and ginger for jerky. I sprinkle with red pepper flakes.

4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Hard to beat Hi Mountain, just made 60lbs of duck and goose jerky with 3 packs of original and 1 package of Pepper, came out great. Comes in pre measured packages for 15 lbs, with a measuring cup for one pound at a time. Avliable in lots of places. G Mtn, Cabelas, Grocerey stores etc.

Will post pictures when I can get my new computer up and running.

5. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Here's a good basic jerky recipe. I can't keep any around, it goes real fast. I mostly do venison, but also use it for duck, goose, and swan.

For about 5 lbs. of meat: (I try to make the slices as uniform as possible by nearly freezing, then using an electric slicer - about 3/16" thick. Cut across the grain for softer, with the grain for chewier.)

Mix in a bowl:
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp black pepper cracked or very coarse ground - fresh if possible
    1 Tbs liquid smoke

Place strips of meat in marinade and let soak for at least 24 hrs. Place on dryer racks and dry for about 8 hrs at 180 degrees or until dry to your preference. If you use a meat smoker, leave out the liquid smoke. If you like a peppery jerky, add more black pepper. If you like some zing in it, add some cayenne, or some crushed red peppers. If you like it sweeter, add some brown sugar or molasses.

6. Edisto ducks

Edisto ducks Senior Refuge Member

Thanks!!! Any advice for cooking snack sticks in an oven?

7. Jimbob

Jimbob Elite Refuge Member

Never made any. Have a Big Chief smoker, and have been thinking about maybe trying some in that one day.