Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow and snow geese, and cold

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Blackduck, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

A question for those of you who live around snow geese.and get to observe them without making a long trip...

How do snow geese react to snow on the ground? Do they lay down like canadas and melt a spot, or do they just make do or move on to less snow covered areas? Same question for cold and hard frosts, do they pull the lay down move to thaw grass, or do they just wait later in the day for it to warm up.

My big question is this- When it gets cold/white, does it make since to remove stakes/feet from fullbodies and use them like shells like we do with Canada's, or will the snows just wonder what happened to the decoy's feet. All the snows i have ever seen, the few around here, have always been on their feet.

2. jthomp01

jthomp01 Refuge Member

We don't get much snowfall here, but when those cold temps hit and those fields and water start freezing, the majority of the snows go south.

3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Up here in Alberta, unfortunately we end up hunting snows in the snow way more often than we want to....

Snows in the snow are a challenge... You can easily drive right by 10,000 feeding snows and not see them at all unless you see flapping wing tips or have some blues or grays mixed in. A dead snow in the snow can be very challenging to find as well,,, look for wing tips or blood or better yet have a dog with a good nose along!!!!

Your spread will not show up at that well,,, leave your decoys on the stakes / stands,,, if it's sunny they will cast a better shadow which will enhance the visibility. Sound and motion are even more important to draw attention,,, your e-caller is best friend now followed by your rotary if there is no wind. It doesn't hurt to throw in dark decoys in the mix,,, including a few on your flyers as they will show up the best of all in your spread from a birds eye view.

Calm, cold mornings are tough at any time to decoy snows, but even more so in snow covered conditions. Pray for wind,,, it is always your best friend when hunting snows.

4. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Snows are aggressive feeders all the time. And since they feed in large flocks, they rarely spread sit down as they continually race to the front of the feed.

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

Our light geese here in the mid-continent area are always jumpy & on the move when feeding, even when snow cover is at a moderate depth. An early heavy snow will move them south for a awhile, but they always seem to show back up when the weather moderates some. We have certain lakes in this area that they roost on each winter, whether it's open water or iced over. They sit down & sleep for short periods of time on the ice, but the local bald eagles always keep them hyped up! They'll also rest during the midday on clean bean stubble fields if they're going to stay out & feed all day, like they're doing right now in our extremely cold weather. Good luck & have a Safe & Happy New Year!...NC

6. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

I've seen them sit quite a bit. I've had first birds down and asleep on the ground while the main flock was still drifting down.

7. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Hunted a frozen snow field maybe 3” that maybe 20,000 snows were feeding in. it looked like someone had ran a hay rake over it they had no problem getting to the wheat underneath

8. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

It seems to me that the snow geese are more likely to stick around after it snows during the fall, then they are the spring. Even this year, was proof again. SD was pretty mild until early December when the temps plummeted and we received a fair amount of snow throughout the eastern part of the state. I thought they had all bailed south and then around Dec 20th, I started hearing about good numbers of snow geese up by Aberdeen, Lake Thompson and down near Yankton. Surprised the **** out of me.

But in the spring, it seems like if you get 4" of snow, the birds are bailing south almost immediately! Again, I offer this proof. In 2016, we were covered in snow geese around that Madison area around March 2nd or so. Then a snow storm swept in and dumped no more then 4" of snow. I didn't think it was a big deal, but they sure did. The next couple of days was nothing more then a mass exodus of birds moving south. We ended up having to follow them. Then last spring, I was hunting the Yankton area. There were a lot of birds up by Aberdeen already, when they received 12" of snow or so. And I get it. 12" would be enough to make me fly south! But all of the snow geese emptied out of the north country and stopped at the Missouri River, even though there was only a couple inches from about I-90 down to Yankton.