Snow chains for new Ford Truck

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mdnduck, Sep 28, 2017.

1. mdnduck

mdnduck Senior Refuge Member

Went and bought a new Ford F-250 and when I bought it I had to sign a paper about not putting chains on it. Taking it on a late season hunt to Colorado(unit 44) and plan to get chains for it.

Just wondering what you guy are doing and if buying a specific chain type/brand. Told it's not about clearance to wheel wells but more about brake lines.

Not a Ford/Chev/Dodge thing but looking to see how everyone else has delth with this.

Thanks in advance

MDNDUCK

2. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

That sounds insane to me. How does Ford expect folks to deal with snow in their 2wd F-250??? Half the country gets snow at some point each year. What would they not warranty if you refuse to sign?

3. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

I use chains with my Tundra....But if you have a flat kiss the tire censers goodby!
    My buddy has a Chevy and was told not to use chains because of clearance problems?
    Why do they sell 4x4 trucks if we are not supposed to use them?

4. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

i was on a 2nd season hunt a couple years ago (unit 25) and had my chains pull a rear antilock brake line out. I would get in the wheel wells and zip tie everything up as tight as you can while still allowing enough movement when turning.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

mdnduck, is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

I have been driving all over the inter-mountain west for 18 years with 4wd and no chains. How far out in the boondocks are you intending to get?

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

In Oregon it's a law (I do believe) that you have to carry chains with you. It's insane to make you sign a paper saying you won't use them. What happens when the highway patrol says you have to put them on or turn around? Just get tires you can stud and you won't have to worry about using chains.

7. ricer man

ricer man Senior Refuge Member

I thought all hunters have 6in lifts with 35in tires with their windows covered in duck decals? plenty of clearance for chains

8. spectacular

spectacular Elite Refuge Member

What size tires do you have? Ill sell you some chains have a set for up to 285's /33" never been opened

9. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

7" lift, but no duck decals! Yes, room for chains.

10. sisqsprig

sisqsprig Senior Refuge Member

There have been several times that chains saved my A$S. Whether it was the high country of CO after good rain, the Oregon desert after a big snow or even Tule Lake refuge during a freeze-thaw event chains have gotten me out of some bad spots. I wouldn't go anywhere in my travels without them.