Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Conservation Question.

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Specgod, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Texas Snow Goose

Texas Snow Goose Elite Refuge Member

Trying to argue with potlickers just ain't worth the effort. Go ahead kill and cripple them all. It seems that no matter of reason can make a difference with those that insist on killing and crippling that many birds.

You also can't tell me that a lot of those birds don't get wasted. Unless you have lots and lots of people to give them away they're being wasted. I make them into sausage and jerky, but even I can't handle more than a hundred or so each year.

Take as many as you will use, anything else is unethical. If the vast majority of the birds that were being hit were collected and eaten I wouldn't have any problem with sneaking, but with over a thousand, give me a break. :(

2. tnduxcaller

tnduxcaller Senior Refuge Member

I must be the biggest idiot I know, because I sneak across wide open, flat ground for 500-600 yards. I really feel stupid for doing what works for me. Oh' I feel like a bloomin' idiot! tnduxcaller

3. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Elite Refuge Member

Fetch,
    You are not suppossed to kill geese. You are supposed to set up decoys and look at the geese as they fly by. Killing them is not an option. :fp

Gotta love the Anti-hunter Hunters! :l

4. Specklr

Specklr Senior Refuge Member

You know guys how to stop all the B**ching and moaning . Leave the extended season,unplugged guns the Ecallers and just reinstate the limit of twenty and sixty birds :tu

5. SwampHunter

It wouldn't stop it either. The limit could be 3 geese and it would still be the same. Some folks have to always gripe about the way someone else does something even if they are legal. Some of these folks are crying because someone else is killing birds. :yes

6. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

TSG, You know as well as I do that guys in Louisiana as well as Texas use e-callers in areas they know they are not going to get caught.
    This has given the Conservatiuon order as a whole a black eye IMO. While creeping snows is legal, and these guys have a legal right to do so, whether I agree with it or not is not the issue.
    We will continue to have tough years on the snows until we get better hatches and the Conservation order is terminated.
    Then we will get back to hunting snowgeese the way we have always done it.
    JMO.

7. SwampHunter

So much for his potlicker statement. :l The man knows someone that is doing illegal, but he ain't down on the outlaws. He is down on the guys that are going the legal way. :grvn

JED,
    We have always used stalking as a method to kill geese as well as used decoys. It's a tradition here. :tu

8. JEDJR

I personally dont know anyone who uses an E-caller illegally, But I have pulled up to gas pumps and seen them in the back of trucks with decoys, geese, and hear the guys talking about it.

It just makes our job tougher, the guys that do it right, the legal way.

As far as stalking, Like I said in an earlier post, I did it some when I was younger, just dont care to do it anymore, Thats me..

9. Fetch

Fetch Elite Refuge Member

I've had a few really good decoy shoots for SOBs but in general I have layed there & watched them fly over or to another field or out of the roost a different direction entirely (That is No Longer Fun to me)

Most times if they want a field you could go out there & cover up & hide & have as good of luck (a one time volley at em)

Just something about getting up that early & all that work before & after & all the excuses for not getting anything, has turned me sour on Decoying SOB's. But up here you can hunt lots of ground that in Texass would be most likely impossible - I love to drive & scout & Hunt the sky from Horizon to Horizon all day long - find em going down & drive around the section & plan your strategy & ask permission if nessessary. But up here you can have your gun at your side & even shells in the magazine as you go from flock to flock & expirenced SOB jumpers are always ready incase you come over a hill & see the perfect sneak (just over the Hill) :yes But I could tell you about many times when someone said they are just over the Hill & it turned out they were alot further out then they thought :rolleyes: :mad: Dressing right for sneaking is important too

For this type of SOB hunting you always make the Rule before you start with your group - "Always take the sure bird & if in doubt shoot" - we don't want to hear all the feuding about you should have waited :rolleyes: :l It's not like it will be your only Big chance of the day - You just go on to the next flock --- The beauty of hunting ND ---Way too often you will have wished you took the two or three right over you, when the rest all flared off, or go somewhere else -- In this sneaking you have to wear a mask & keep your head down & hide - they will always see you way before you see them - this is very hard for many to do - But if you want to get some good shots wait until they are right over you & shoot why take the chance of flaring them.

When it comes to SOB hunting Fetch does know it all & then some :yes

10. JEDJR

Fetch, Is it me, or does it seem like the geese stage and migrate back north in larger numbers than when the migrate south for the winter?