Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Conservation Question.

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Specgod, Mar 15, 2005.

1. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

I know one thing that bothers me is that last season, we only saw about 60% of the snows we normally see.
    And they were late getting here as well.
    I hope we are not starting to see a shift in the migration where more and more snows and specks will start wintering in Arkansas and Missouri. I will know if this is the case in the next year or so.

2. Texas Snow Goose

Texas Snow Goose Elite Refuge Member

Swamphunter, I said that I knew of people, not that I knew the people. I know reading can be difficult but keep trying. :no

I also said that I thought that it sucked that this was occurring. And to this you replied, "He is down on the guys that are going the legal way." Man, I hate that this is happening and have adequately expressed why I don't agree with sneaking and producing mass casualties.

You also said, "I also find it hard to believe that he has never had a crippled bird on a decoy shoot. If he has then he is just as bad as anyone else." That statement is just dumb. Sure, a few decoyed birds get crippled, but no where near as many that are straffed at head high as they're standing in a field. Many of these birds fly several miles before crashing to Earth. I know, I've seen them spread out over several huge plowed fields near where a particularly nasty sneak took place.

3. Texas Snow Goose

Texas Snow Goose Elite Refuge Member

Please read the following statement very carefully:

1. Every guide that I know personally, does it because he loves to hunt geese, not for the money. The money ain't that great. They all have "real"(less fun) jobs that pay the bills. I ought to know, I used to guide goose hunts professionally, but don't anymore. I now take people for free whenever I have access to a decent number of birds. It's all for the love of the hunt.

4. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

:tu :tu On the nose!! I couldn't possibly afford the 40+ days in the field without doing it as an outfitter. And in the process I get to meet alot of true outdoorsmen that don't have the access to land or birds that we do up here.

5. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Elite Refuge Member

:l
    Dude! Now why would you even state that you knew of folks doing it when you didn't know any folks doing it? Kinda convenient to say you actually don't know there's folks doing it. So in other words you don't know that there are folks doing it, or you do know. Which is it?

If you cripple birds, you cripple birds. There's no two ways about it... either you do or you don't. You can't justify your crippling against someone else's crippling. It's just like saying you kill geese within the laws, but others can't kill geese within the laws.
    Just because you see one aftermath of a sneak, doesn't mean that they all happen that way. We will pick up every single bird that falls within our sight..... and that's the same thing you probably do as well.

I have guided as well. I guided snows for 20 something years. No the money ain't that great, but I loved doing it. If I could still do it, I would. It is a labor of love. Now it's all about teaching new hunters and taking friends and making new friends.
    I hunt because I love to hunt. But of course if I didn't kill anything, I would just take up bird watching. At some point and time it has to be about the kill. If it wasn't about the kill then we would leave our guns at the house. Do you leave your gun at home? If not then it's about the kill.
    I ain't a game hog. I sneak because I love to sneak. I can kill one bird in a sneak and be happy. Of course there are days that I want to kill lots of geese on a sneak. The same is true for decoying as well.
    None of the meat goes wasted around here. It's all used. So if I can use the meat, then why not kill the numbers?
    The truth about hunting is that we don't need the meat AT ALL. It's for our own pleasure. We are killing things for our own selfish pleasure. There is no way you can justify killing an animal for the fun of it. It doesn't matter if it's one or a thousand. :no
    All in all it doesn't matter what I think or you think or what anyone else thinks. We are going to hunt the way we want to hunt and as long as we are within the laws then it shouldn't matter. I don't use robos for ducks, but just because I don't like to use them doesn't mean that someone else shouldn't. By saying someone shouldn't do something just because you don't do it nor agree with it sounds alot like the anti's. :yes

6. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

bump