Snow Decs and Honkers

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by marshmob, Dec 19, 2017.

1. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

I have a new lease this year that’s 325 acres and boarders a river system. It’s mainly a honker area but can be good for puddlers and occasionally you see some specs or snows. Watching the area, the honkers and ducks seem to travel the river on the south border as well as the rr tracks on the north border. I’m thinking about splitting the difference and running an A-frame in a waterway in the middle. I have 100fb honkers, 4dz b&w’s, 2 dz fb mallards. I was thinking about taking some headed deadly socks, maybe couple dz, for more visibility since there is 600 acres across the Street. Anyone have thoughts on that and will the white decs hurt the honkers coming in?

2. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Based on my experience the snow dekes might help draw the specs but they won’t help with the honkers. I very rarely see them feeding in the same fields.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I'd only take a few snow decoys, maybe 5 or 6, and just place them randomly in amongst your canadas.

GK1 and Wareagle1 like this.
  4. marshmob

Negooseman

I was thinking maybe upwind of the blind and mixed in like your saying.

5. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

It's hard to picture any setup thru words on a forum. I wouldn't place them where you want the birds to finish but mixed in here/there and, yes, probably upwind.

6. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. Better off with 6-8 quality snow full bodies mixed in randomly. Seen many real flocks of big boys with a few random snows mixed in.

7. marshmob

Will do. I’ll report back if it seems to help.

8. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

I have almost always run a few(3) snow decoys when hunting honkers in dirt fields or anywhere that the honkers blend in with the field .. It's helped every time .... If they don't see your spread your going to have trouble .... I don't mix them in , but just outside the spread grouped together ...CONTRAST is huge especially when trafficking birds , I have airbrushed over all the off white factory colors from DSD to brilliant White ..... They really pop compared to the off white ...