Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow Geese Migrating!!!

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by SangamonIL, Jan 1, 2004.

1. SangamonIL

SangamonIL Senior Refuge Member

Hunted at sangchris today, didnt kill anything but saw 10,000+ snow geese migtating south. It was awesome to see, there had to be 2 or 3 hours that had geese filling the sky!!

2. QUACKHEAD007

QUACKHEAD007 Elite Refuge Member

yep i did too!!!!!!!!!!!!..............i was near Greenview today and watched flock after flock fly the sangamon river...........seen geese from about 12pm to 2pm

3. deadbird

deadbird Senior Refuge Member

yep, I seen bunch today to. Just south of havana. Hunted by myself today on our duck lake, shot my 2 geese, and had a group of snows work the spread. aabout 20 broke off from a big group and circled and circled. just wouln't comit. The 75 yds was the closest the came. I was shaking so bad, i dont know if i could shot if they had come close enough. Going to try it tommor agian we have been wacking the geese on our duck hole for the last week. But think it going to lock up porb. tuesday or so.

4. QUACKHEAD007

hey deadbird you guys been doing good on geese?????.........ive been going over near canton and were seein tons of birds but they aint wanting to do CRAP.........all program geese as of lately.........with these warm days they sure dont want in corn fields.........ive been seeing a lot of geese flying around quiver but the geese just dont like our timber hole down there.........so tommorow im gonna hunt til noon on a strip mine north of duck creek.........if i dont get anything there im gonna hang the goose calls up till next week when its gonna be COLD and head back to the corn!!!!!!...........supposed to get down to like 5 and high around 20..........i can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

5. deadbird

Yeah weve been doing ok, usually just 2 of us huntin and weve been shooting 3-4 birds a day. were huntin on open water on Matanza Lake. I know the cold weather is going to be good, sucks for me b/c we lost out field we used to hunt, due to some guys leasing it, and too $$$ for me. So were going to try to keep a open hole as long as possable. good luck

6. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

We noticed the snows too. Noticed them so much we killed 16 today. While we smacked our white cheeks. Wish we had more people but everyone had to go and celebrate the new year I guess. We decided to set up the windsocks for tomorrow as well. Hopefully more thirsty SOB's on the way down before this front pushes in. The snows we did shoot were pretty skinny too. Well happy new year.

7. deadbird

saw another huge bunch of snows today, with the fog they were low! The flew over couple times just out of range.

8. QUACKHEAD007

well hope you guys did good...........we saw JACK CRAP for canadians today............the fog didnt get off our strip mine over in fulton county unitl 12 P.M............the visibility was 1/2 mile maximum.........pretty tough conditions.........had a single drop in the floaters while we were sleeping and we heard a cluck and poked our heads outta the pit and 10 yards in front of us was a goose swimming in the dekes lol........so we spooked him outta the decoys and shot him right in the butt

we saw the snows today also but they flew about 100 yards over us..........didnt want to work though

hey dead i went to chat. today around 3 and there were geese ALL over the east bluff of the south end.........prolly 3000 at least is my guess........lot of ducks and geese for that matter.........they just didnt want to fly over in canton/duck creek

9. deadbird

we didnt do crap on candas either. We had 2 speks circle about 6 times just wouldn't come close enough. they were only 30 yds off the water, but would swing wide. ought to be better tommor, maybe we can get a few moving ahead of the cold front.

I went over by emquion today and there was a ton of ducks in a wet spot in corn field down the road that goes to dixon mounds, few geese to.

10. QUACKHEAD007

yep we drive right by there going to our pit everyday.........around 2:45 pm emiquon (west side) which is all refuge was FULL of ducks and geese...........there was some geese sitting on norris farms also.........we hunted the stripper mine today but were gonna go to the corn tommorow.........gonna have a full pit so something better work us or its gonna be a long day........that wind switching from south to northwest should help us a TON i would think but you know these geese there SMART

P.S whats your name i get tired of typing deadbird lol

aaron:)