Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Snow geese on Sunday's?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by joecitrano, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

I think hutty nailed it in post #9 for MD.

Steve, if you want to include DE in this now, I think it could be accomplished with a bill in the state assembly (hopefully statewide! - private AND public land!).

I don't think the USFWS gives a rip if we hunt on Sunday, all we need to do is approve it on the state level for the CO.

Man...I have been hunting snow geese for 35 years since moving up here, and since they became a "problem", I don't feel either state has taken that seriously. I could write a book about the trials and tribulations of trying to gain access on state and federal land to hunt snow geese. I just like to hunt them, not murder them in huge piles ( I have cleaned enough piles) to "save the tundra", but it has been a struggle over the years. Now, many places they used that we could have really gotten after them, they no longer use. I will tell you, from personal experience, if you have the chance to hunt them, don't take it for granted. They will change and rarely do they go back to what they used to do. Get them while you have access and the desire!

I agree with Joe, if biologists truly feel that snow geese are a hazard to themselves, other species and their environment, they should help make it easier to cull their numbers. We should be in this together.

Sorry for the long post.

2. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

That might help our position if both MD & DE pursued clarification from the Service as we both have compensatory days. I've been in meetings in Dover with DNREC but not with Wildlife so hopefully you know the necessary contacts as I doubt they read this forum.

3. Allan

I'm guessing the necessary contacts from both states read this but choose not to get involved. :)

You sir, obviously have more patience with this stuff than I. And I applaud you for that and your accomplishments. I am too politically incorrect to be a frontman for things like this. But I agree with Joe's initial point and I hope his ideas get some traction.

4. jhomyack

jhomyack New Member

We checked with the USFWS on this idea (hunting snow geese on Sundays in the conservation order season) and their stance is that if a state allows ANY hunting for migratory game birds, that state will forfeit its compensatory days (Comp days granted in 1997...see link below). Although the Conservation Order is not authorized as a typical hunting season, the activity authorized by the CO is still hunting. Sounds kind of lawyerish but it is kind of hard to argue....you're laying out in a field with decoys, guns, dogs, calling birds, shooting snow geese...the visual looks like hunting in my book. The USFWS would probably rather see "blue laws" eliminated for all migratory bird hunting as it would simplify regulation, grant additional hunting opportunity, and may aid in the recruitment and retention efforts that we all know are vital to the continuation of waterfowling.....they (USFWS), don't really care to grant wiggle room here. If a state wants to hunt mig birds on Sundays great, if not, ok well you get comp days....but not both.

The bigger issue here is Sunday hunting for migratory game birds in general and I'm gonna repeat what most of you probably already know here and I'm going to plagiarize while I'm at it..... Maryland is one of a minority of states that do not allow Sunday hunting for all game species on all Sundays. Sunday hunting in Maryland is set by state law, and state laws may only be changed by the General Assembly (link below). As a result, the Department may only open Sunday hunting on the dates, and for the game species, allowed by law. We work constantly to support Sunday hunting, but it is up to the elected Delegates and State Senators in the General Assembly to add more Sunday opportunity. As we know, there has been amazing progress in granting Sunday hunting in MD, obviously its a complex issue and still evolving, but progress nonetheless. If you feel strongly about this issue, contact your county delegation and let your opinions be known.

Link to Federal Register, Sept 26th. 1997 Compensatory Days pages 50665-66 https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-1997-09-26/pdf/97-25517.pdf

Link to MD General Assembly: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home

5. Scotty

Scotty Elite Refuge Member

Ah- so Steve I apologize- you were right!!

It just didn't make sense.

I understand how it would affect the comp days during the fall, but how does it affect it after the seasons end- when the majority of the CO is held anyway?

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I've never done anything outside of conveying Sunday hunting support by calling my representatives. It's a shame that an actual coalition of the different hunting organizations and associations cannot get on the same page and truly act as one to make this happen.if they could I'd join in a heartbeat

7. Allan

Great explanation jhomyack, thanks!

8. joecitrano

Great explanation though it stil sucks

9. joecitrano

Wish there was something we could do

10. hutty

hutty Elite Refuge Member

Great reply ( and spoke to my concern about the feds). Statewide sunday hunting would be very difficult since the model we need to use to rescind the law use the home rule issue. We would need all counties to buy into it, which would be tough when counties like Baltimore don't even offer any sunday hunting (despite many attempts by members of the local delegation).